Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I just wanted to ask if any of you have or experienced this issue. When I'm driving my 91' 75 twinspark, around 2000-2500 RPM, there is a repetitive noise coming from the gear stick/gear lever in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. I feel some vibration too. When I place my hand on the gear knob and lightly grab it, it goes away. Why do you think this noise is coming and how can I fix this issue? I'd appreciate if anyone address this issue with a potential solution.

·
Richard Jemison
7,392 Posts
From the curved plates that seal the top opening in the shift tower.
There SHOULD be a rubber seal there to keep pressure on them. It is a special shaped seal and can be ordered through Centerlinealfa.com.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
He is thinking you have a 105 or 115 model Alfa...
Transaxle cars are quite different!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,524 Posts
Yes, that bush can cause the problem. You can get to it from below by removing the heat shield. Replace the two o-rings, add grease to the flutes in the bushing, and tighten well using a nylock nut.

·
Richard Jemison
7,392 Posts
Usually The holes in the fork are worn oblong. To repair these will require drilling the fork to a larger size. On all of the race cars I`ve simply drilled the fork and used a teflon bushing machined to be pressed into the tube, thin drilled internally to the larger size bolt. This gives a much improved shift feel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unfortunately can't help with the solution, only with observation that both 75 that I had and have suffer from this phenomena.
I hope to get to it sometime in the course of dealing with the small glitches in the car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the same problem, bought a new bushing from EBspares which came with an M7 bolt and nyloc nut. But that didn't fix it properly, the dimensions were not really up to snuff. I think Richard's solution seems like a better option.

Sometimes just tightening the existing nut can already fix the rattling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the same problem, bought a new bushing from EBspares which came with an M7 bolt and nyloc nut. But that didn't fix it properly, the dimensions were not really up to snuff. I think Richard's solution seems like a better option.

Sometimes just tightening the existing nut can already fix the rattling.
I ordered EBspares isostatic acuation arm and other related parts for the other end of the arm, ignored the front end parts. Actually, rattling started recently. Maybe I'd order them too.. Does any of you think that might be the reason? Can be about fitting too.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,524 Posts
Yes, if there's play/rattle in the isostatic linkage it can transmit up the rod into the cabin too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts