Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 84 alfa spider with 50,000 miles. There is a vibration in the steering wheel only when I drive over uneven road. There are new shocks but everything else is original A mechanic has found nothing obvious. Any thoughts anyone

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I'd think that after 50k un-greased miles, something in the front end is worn. Is it a high frequency vibration like a buzzing in the steering wheel or low frequency where the wheel actually shakes back and forth?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Time to put it up on a good set of jackstands and check that the car is very stable and secure. Take a look at:

Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth in short strokes while you observe the steering linkages. Look for any slop or up/down or sideways movement of arms in their bushings.

1. Check all tie rod ends, especially the ones attached to the steering arm. Manipulate them up and down to see if they's any play. There shouldn't be ANY.
2. Grab the lower steering arm and try to manipulate it up and down and side to side. Should not be much, or any, slop.
3. Grab the Idler arm on the right side and see if there's slop in that as well.
4. Grab each tire and see if there's any "cattywhompas" (that's a technical term) in/out slop in the upper or lower ball joints. You can also use a lever to lever the tire up slightly and see how much slop you get in the ball joints.
5. Lower A-arm bushings are harder to inspect. Usually when they go you'll hear a "snap" or "click" when you just start out or reverse direction of the car.
6. Check for "lost movement" in the steering box as well. Have you checked the lubricant level in the steering box recently?

Other things to check as well:

1. Tire balance
2. Out-of-round tire
3. Bent wheel
4. Wheel bearings

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to let you guys know the problem was that the 2 nuts holding the steering column under the dash were loose. Tightening them was the answer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts