Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Took the Spider out on the highway today to let her stretch her legs. All seemed good until I hit 80. The car started to vibrate. Another way to describe it is like riding on a rough cement topped road. Car felt rough, and if you looked through the rear view mirror, everything was shaking. All seemed good back below 80. Read on the BB that maybe the prop shaft is unbalanced, but its "clean" and the only thing I've done to the driveline recently is a little grease in the spline it fix the "clunk". The driveline has a new guibo, driveshaft support and bearing, u-joint and new pinion spacers and seal, all within the last 2 years and less than 5000 miles. Also, on my way home I decided to drive slowly to try to "hear" if anything had changed. Something sounded like a low road noise at low speed, that disappeared when I pressed in the clutch and coasted. Came back as soon as I engaged the transmission. I did notice some drops of gear oil on the garage floor. Haven't had a chance to get underneath yet, but wanted to ask the community what I should look for. Could it be a bad layshaft bearing making the noise and moving the propshaft around, to the point that it's causing the trans seal to leak?

Thanks in advance.

Joseph

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
A vibration at 80 mph sounds like a tire or wheel problem. I would get them checked for balance and roundness.

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
Worn or loose wheel bearings are usually noticed when turning, quiet in a straight line and noisy in turns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts