Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have decided to sell my Hellebore steering wheel. I believe this is the mythical "lightweight" steering wheel from the 1750 GTV/GTA and the European 1750 Spider Veloce (round tail). I am not an expert of all things Alfa, but the steering wheel looks really right to me. It's super cool and I think it has been restored/refinished. It has no cracks anywhere and is ready to bolt on and drive. This is a cool and rare steering wheel. I'm asking $350. Make an offer if you're interested. Actual shipping cost will be charged to the buyer. I have no hub cover for it. Please don't hesitate to ask questions or offer information/advice. Thanks in advance for your interest!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
if its from a 1750 then the horn assembly is missing

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh. Well, then strike that. I'm not sure which model it's from. It's definitely Alfa, though, because it has the keyed hub. Which model had no horn buttons? The Alleggerita? Dunno. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I have decided to sell my Hellebore steering wheel. I believe this is the mythical "lightweight" steering wheel from the 1750 GTV/GTA and the European 1750 Spider Veloce (round tail). I am not an expert of all things Alfa, but the steering wheel looks really right to me. It's super cool and I think it has been restored/refinished. It has no cracks anywhere and is ready to bolt on and drive. This is a cool and rare steering wheel. I'm asking $500. I'll consider serious offers. At $500, shipping is free in CONUS, otherwise, actual shipping cost charged. I have no hub cover for it. Please don't hesitate to ask questions or offer information/advice. Thanks in advance for your interest!
Hi, there appears to be an Aluminum outer hub. Is it aluminum? How is that attached to the wheel or hub.

Regards

Ken

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
For Sale VG Hellebore Lightweight Steering Wheel 1750 GTA/GTV/Spider Veloce

Sorry but this is strange modification of 1.serie 1750 gtv,1750spider.Somebody attached this hub,can be from tz but i am not shure.Check my restoration work...
Regards

Attachments

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Hi

When I look at the back side of a 1750 GTV wood rim wheel with the horn assembly removed, retaining clip still present(1st pic) and compare it to the picture above, it would seem that that aluminum ring is pressed on, glued on or secured from the side, which cannot be seen from the pictures provided.

A nice modification as far as it goes, but with no provision for a horn where would you use such a wheel, on a race car??

A ring could probably be made for the front side like the GTA or Nardi ones and that type of horn button used.

FWIW

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ken, I do think it is an aluminum outer hub. It looks like it was attached by the OEM to me. If it was modified, the person responsible really knew what s/he was doing. I don't know, though. The wheel is the highly sought European 1750 Series 1 wheel though. I've just reduced the price to $350 or best offer. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Sorry but this is strange modification of 1.serie 1750 gtv,1750spider.Somebody attached this hub,can be from tz but i am not shure.Check my restoration work...
Regards
Hi Franjo, is that horn centre Alfa Badge one of the stick on type that is available from Alfa suppliers or is it an insert type like original and a repro, NOS, reconditioned or ??

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

alfa badge is original.I cleaned the chrome out and resprayed with sikkens base colour.After polishing i used darker base for background.A lot of work for a small badge.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
alfa badge is original.I cleaned the chrome out and resprayed with sikkens base colour.After polishing i used darker base for background.A lot of work for a small badge.
A lot of work. I'd say.

The stick on repros are ok for all but the perfectionist job, I guess. We really need a supplier of like original repros, as lot of these badges are deteriorated. Have you restored in gold as well??

Ken

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
I see you are not using the plastic guides in the horn lever slots. Is there a reason you don't - they are still available. The center piece looks awfully shinny; is that original?

Thanks

Robert

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

I never saw plastic guides in the horn lever slots on flat hellebores,these are only on deep dished hellebore steering wheels.
Centre piece is original and polished.I used 3m wet&dry sand paper and than polishing.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Alfa Recambi (european somewhere) has them in two sizes - 57 mm and 61 mm - for both "Personal" and "Helibore" wheels.

Don't know if either are original, but I've seen some badly degraded ones on both wheels on various cars. They look at least old if not original. All are the deep dish wheels. I also never saw these on the flat wheels, but then I've never seen the three-arm horn lever on a flat wheel.

Is that centerpiece a hard plastic? My original Duetto had a flatter hard black plastic; my "personal" deep dish center is a soft foam-like with a pebble-leather like (but plastic) surface.

For others who want to polish one of these - the wheel spokes are SS, but the horn ring is cast aluminum. they both polish well but need different polishes. Be careful of over-doing the aluminum levers and rounding off the buttons too much.

Robert

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
BTW - your wheel is really nice. I hope mine comes out as well. Haven't decided on what to do about the plastic guides - that's why I asked what was original. The OEM Duetto wheel does not have the guides, but the horn lever itself is black plastic.

Robert

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Soooo... Franjo's restored wheels are very nice indeed, but I'd like to sell my wheel in this thread. Any takers? Let me know! Thanks. :)

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Alfa Recambi (european somewhere) has them in two sizes - 57 mm and 61 mm - for both "Personal" and "Helibore" wheels.

Don't know if either are original, but I've seen some badly degraded ones on both wheels on various cars. They look at least old if not original. All are the deep dish wheels. I also never saw these on the flat wheels, but then I've never seen the three-arm horn lever on a flat wheel.

Is that centerpiece a hard plastic? My original Duetto had a flatter hard black plastic; my "personal" deep dish center is a soft foam-like with a pebble-leather like (but plastic) surface.

For others who want to polish one of these - the wheel spokes are SS, but the horn ring is cast aluminum. they both polish well but need different polishes. Be careful of over-doing the aluminum levers and rounding off the buttons too much.

Robert
Hi, As far as I know Franjo is correct about the 1750 Hellebores. The parts suppliers do have 2 lengths of the inserts available for the 2000 Personal (Long) and the 2000 Hellebore(short). Both these are deep dish wheels. The 1600 J 115 also uses 2000 type wheel.

FWIW

Ken

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

This steering wheel was restored for my friend,i hope you will sell yours fast.
Regards

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks! I think this is a really nice steering wheel. It's definitely a rarity. I hope it goes to a good home.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts