Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I should have known better--I bought seat covers for my 1957 Giulietta Spider from World Upholstery in 1998, and the piping soon fell apart. No adjustment/refund forthcoming from World Upholstery.

Last month I ordered a full set of mats, with light blue edging, plus a SWB Stayfast top. Mats and the top arrived this afternoon.

Haven't had a chance to check out the top yet (though I did notice it lacks the metal pieces that fit under the rear hooks), but the mats are very poor...

The problem is the edging. It is of uneven width, much wider than OEM (yes, I still have the original mats), and NOT the light blue that was quoted. They are turquoise. My car is too nice for these crappy mats, and I intend to get a full refund.

·
Push hard and live
10,464 Posts
I am at an in between stage. The quality of what I got from WULPH is, hmmmm, indifferent. However, the personal effort to set it right so far has been quite good. It remains to be seen how it turns out in the end, but I will award good customer service effort bonus points compared to the unfortunate quality that come from any vendor. If they end up letting me down, I'll report accordingly.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talked to Heather of World Upholstery. Per her request I've mailed a sample of the original mat and light blue trim (picked the edge that goes under the driver's seat because it would have faded the least, especially the bottom side).

Sounds like they are going to try to match it, at least get the color light blue instead of turquoise.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still unhappy with World Upholstery

Sent a sample of my OEM mat and light blue edging to Heather of World
Upholstery, and called her yesterday to make sure it had arrived.

She informed me they cannot get the light blue edging...kinda strange because my
local upholstery shop got it to make the piping for the seats...should have had
him make them, I guess!

Looks like I am out nearly $500 and out of luck...can try painting the edging, I
guess. Will be way too wide, but at least the color will be accurate....

On the good news front, the Stayfast top from World Upholstery fit fine.
Install was problematic at first due to a cheap adhesive. Got the good 3M
adhesive and no problems at all. Fits alot better than the vinyl top that was
on the car when I bought it in 1998.

So bottom line is I'd recommend World Upholstery for tops but not for mats. They've burned me 2 times out of 3, and that's not good!!!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
They sold me an "original, OEM" set of Mercedes carpet mats a few years ago. The color sample matched adequately. However, the finished mats lacked the correct edging and, worse, didn't have the proper cutouts for the gas pedal and hi-beam floor switch. Color was also off a tad from the sample, but this was minor compared to the other issues.

The guy I spoke with at W.U. was VERY defensive about the quality of his product. He insisted that the mats I was trying to replace could not be original and that his were certainly to spec. I casually pointed out that the car had less than 30K miles and my existing, original mats fit perfectly. His attitude was that of someone defending his product to the umpteenth displeased customer, as opposed to "gee, how could that have happened?" He then suggested I take a scissors and make the necessary cutouts myself, since clearly his other customers don’t have gas pedals or hi-beams. Right …

I got my money refunded, but if someone is going thru the trouble of selling repro mats, why not go the extra mile to ensure they have the proper edging and cutouts. They should at least drop the 100% OEM claims.

As a counterexample, the guy who operates the original Cocomats store goes out of his way to ensure that his (floor)mats fit around the pedals correctly, even going so far as to modify his templates if he sees a potential interference. Now that's customer service!

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Tks guys, I'm currently trolling the posts for advice on carpet suppliers for my '83 Spider. Just got an email back from Fryers saying they don't do RHD.. WU was next on the list...might just pass for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts