1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I would like to get that kind of money for my Duetto, if I had to sell her, but I don't think I would pay that much.....and definitely not for the one currently on eBay. I'm sure it's a very nice example, but with the decals all over a non original color paint, and holes drilled in the bumpers for fog lights? At that kind of money, it should be pretty close to perfect, in my mind.....that may change in a few years:D:D

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wish the seller all the luck in the world.....but there is a lot here that is incorrect here (see "Original ALFA ROMEO SPIDER," by Chris Rees, an excellent reference guide) and would have to be set right before approaching that dollar figure......

There are restored production Alfas that are exchanging hands for good money. These deals are still done the old fashion way - word of mouth.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ebay

I maybe very wrong, but I get the feeling this guy thinks he's
doing everyone a favor buy selling his car? Just a thought.

Mark

·
Registered
121 Posts
Funny that Borrani-like wheels just never quite look as good as the real thing. Something about the center hub extending past the outer edge of the wheel rim does not quite look right.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
A 69 is NOT a Duetto!

I have said it before, and I will say it again, a 1669 roundtail is not a Duetto. It is a 1750 Spider! A Duetto is a 1600 roundtail with Webers produced in 1966 to 1967.

That being said, I would not pay the reserve of $31K for this car because it is not original. I have nothing against period modifications, but the foglights, number decals, etc. detract from the car. It is "over the top" as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, I wish the seller luck. He may happen upon someone that really thinks this car is what he wants and is willing to pay the price. (at the time I write this, there are no bids, thank God!). To the potential bidders, I say "buyer beware!" Check out other listings and get a feel for the market for these cars. Only then will they be able to determine if they want to meet the seller's price. They could purchase a lot of nicer examples of roundtails (whether Duettos or 1750 Spiders) at a much lower price.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Funny that Borrani-like wheels just never quite look as good as the real thing. Something about the center hub extending past the outer edge of the wheel rim does not quite look right.
I'm with you. No Borrani - no wire wheels. ALL the rest just don't cut it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh- I thought this thread would stir up a little controversy! It is interesting that the seller lists it as a 1750 Spider, has 1750 Spider embroideried on the "lovely" yellow tonneau, yet reverts to calling it a Duetto in the description- perhaps to appeal to a market that doesn't know the difference? I wonder if the decals are removeable- at least he's including the original wheels with the car. I really do hope he gets his price- I think Duettos and Roundtails are currently undervalued, so it would be nice to see them start fetching higher prices, providing the condition warrants it. If he does get his price, makes me wonder what Osso's Roundtail would be worth- $50-$60K? :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Guys ,

The car is terrible ..........very incorrect and perhaps worth half his asking price , that being said I too wish him all the luck in the world . As for reference books Chris Rees book might as well be a pretty picture childrens pop up book ....late english pictures of so-called restored cars (hence why so many restorations are incorrect - "its in the book so it must be right "....is the general attitude taken) The one and only book that should be used for spider reference is Alfa Romeo Duetto Spider by Giorgio Nada/Giancenzo Madro as every single picture in the book is a FACTORY period picture .

lol........Notice how I correctly refer to my car : 1750 Spider Veloce (Osso di Seppia) to distinguish it from the later 1750 Spider (coda tronca) or Kamm tail .

Frank .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts