Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
Got my Verde engine running after a rebuild. Mostly all looks good. New injectors, O2 sensor, cap, rotor, plugs & plug wires. Fuel regulator is new too. (Bosch) I checked function on AFM, TPS, and coolant sensors. They're okay. #1 plug, after about 2 hrs run time, both under load and none with varying engine RPM, is showing a dead-fat mixture indication; it's black around the insulator. Insulator itself and the ground strap are pretty clean. The other 5 plugs have no soot at all on them. Just the usual signs of them getting hot. I can hear the cadence of the idle changing as the ECM samples the mixture. Idle is a little rumpety. Now I'm not looking for a spot diagnosis, but is there anything common or obvious that could cause only one cylinder to run fat? The injectors all seem to be firing like they should. Under load I'm getting a bit of rotten-egg stink from the cat. I'm limiting any run time so I don't kill it.
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
I had a similar problem and it was a leaking injector.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,513 Posts
Yeah, well, they all fire together. So it sure sounds like you may have gotten a bad one.

Another possibility, I suppose, is that you may have a miss on that cylinder? If it's not firing every time that could cause a rich condition.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
The solution used to clean them if they were causes this. I had this on my 82 Bosch Spider. Couple of fuel injector cleaners in the tank may solve this. Oh they are new sorry, but I would try this. Unplug the connector and see if there is 12V on both sides with ignition switch on.. The system works by sending a ground pulse to the injector to open it. or you may have gotten a bad one? I use a test rig with a injector connector & a 12V power supply. Applying 12V you can hear it click. This will at least tell you the injector is turning on and off, if so I would stick to the fuel injector cleaner and see if that works, cause it worked for me and didn't have to take anything apart.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm going to try and eliminate ignition issues first. Could be a bad plug on that cylinder. Next I'll play roulette with the injectors. All six injectors are firing; at least I can hear all the solenoids firing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts