Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an easy or cheap (better both) solution to raising the rev limiter on a 3 liter? I have been told that 7000 is not too much on a stock engine on track and I really need those RPMs. :rolleyes: Thanks!

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Andy at Performatek does it.
I would like to hear of a DIY way though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greg--

What do I need to send to get it done? I know your address must be on your website but anything else I need to know? What will be the new redline?

Thanks! SS

·
Premium Member
15,006 Posts
I guess that there is a fine line between being an Alfista and a businessman. When Gubbi figured out how to fix the flashing ARC he could have said "send me $99 and your ARC and I will send you a modified exchange unit". But instead he told us how to do it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$100 is better than what I have seen elsewhere and it saves me the hassle.
I want a quick solution for a reasonable amount and that is why I started the thread so relax.;)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I guess that there is a fine line between being an Alfista and a businessman. When Gubbi figured out how to fix the flashing ARC he could have said "send me $99 and your ARC and I will send you a modified exchange unit". But instead he told us how to do it.
Perhaps you should go to Greg's website and see how much information he does give away! Information that takes time, skill and dedication to collect. Then there is putting it together and getting it on a website that costs money to run.

·
Richard Jemison
8,021 Posts
Rev limiter modification

What do I need to send to get it done? I know your address must be on your website but anything else I need to know? What will be the new redline?
That`s not an appropriate question.
You send the module with a note telling what you WANT the Rev Limit set at.

7200-7400 is enough to keep the motor from destruction, and allow pull through the power band.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
7200 sounds good to me! I just don't want to zing my motor into oblivion trying to gain a tenth at a non-competitive event although believe me I want to pass every car that I can!!

Thank you everyone for your constructive advice!

SS

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Ya, 7200 to 7400 sounds good to me too. At Summit Point, I was hitting the rev limiter every shift, and I had to hit 3rd after turn 2 for a short distance, when I should have been able to stay in 2nd.
Not to highjack this thread, bu what else could be done at the same time to enhance street or track performance? Broad question, I know,,,

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,720 Posts
Isn't there a separate rev limiter in the ignition box? I thought that it was below 7K and that even if you remove the ECU one you'll still hit a hard stop.

Might be my memory going, though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cannot speak to the rev limiter issues as I am sorting that out here (I hope) but in terms of improving overall performance: Suspension and tires first. Gearbox second. Engine third. Suspension mods are generally the cheapest and by far the biggest bang for the buck. Tires can help alot too.

At least that is what I have done to my track Milano so far. Its the thread "Boris" and is much less comprehensive then the "Roxanne" story.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

I certainly hope I qualify as an Alfisti. I have put up instructions for a lot of things on these cars, including how to make the black box I sell.

I won't put up instructions on removing the rev-limiter for two reasons. First, my dad does that work, not me, so it's not my procedure to post. Second I don't want to be blamed when someone toasts their ECU doing the job, and that will happen. Perhaps not often, but it will.

We only need the fuel box, we remove the rev limiter in that box and leave the limiter in the igntion box alone. That means that pre-1984 cars will have no rev limiter, the later cars will have the 6800 rpm limiter in the igntion, unless they modify that box, but I think it's a bad idea.

Greg,
Silicone Hose Kits
OKINJECTORS.COM

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
You certainly DO qualify as an Alfisti Greg !! Among the greatest, and most generous of them all. Your page has helped many Alfisti diagnose problems and improve their V6's.

Speedy, I meant changes in the box.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey Greg-

Can you give details for shipping/packaging, paypal info., return time, picture of unit and location, etc...

Thanks,

Derik

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
All that information is on my site at hiperformancestore.com However, it looks like we won't be offering that anymore. My dad is getting older, and just doesn't want to do it.

I will probably put the instructions up on my site, it's a question of time, I have to take one apart, do the job, take photos etc.

Greg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts