Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
GT 1300 junior
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I am new to this BB but I have followed a lot of your projects from the sideline the past year or so. It has been most educational and I would like to pick some of your expert minds on some issues a have with my recently purchased GT 1300 junior. I live in the south of The Netherlands and about a year ago I decided to purchase a project Alfa Bertone. In found mine in a field somewhere in the West of Belgium. In the early 90's I owned a 1973 Giulia Super 1600 with a 2.0 Nord engine which I thoroughly enjoyed driving and fixing but in the end I had to sell it because of an abundance of rust and a lack of funds. I have regretted that discussion ever since. Now, thirty years later, I have decided to buy a 105 coupe which I plan to restore to it's former glory with some minor improvements to the original. The 2.0 Nord has already been sourced but it will have to be rebuilt. So far, I tore down the car completely, all paint has been stripped and I have started to remove the outer sills. Before I proceed with the middle sills I would like to get some of your expert advice on how to brace the car. I guess a lot of members have done this before. Any advice on how to initiate the bracing would be more than welcome. Below some pictures of a year ago when I picked up the car in Belgium.

5537CFD2-A341-404F-BEE6-26A519DC3FBA.jpeg
FBBC7584-23AF-42F6-BCC9-57FE6B5EA33B.jpeg
50EEA397-11F7-4D56-836B-A40FD1E9BD3B.jpeg
D4994C90-8C19-458F-AE98-776D8BA8117C.jpeg

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
317 Posts
Has it been underwater? Alfa wheels on the trailer too?

·
Registered
GT 1300 junior
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has it been underwater? Alfa wheels on the trailer too?
Hi Merv, no it hasn’t been underwater. Actually it’s pretty solid except for the floor pans, the sills, the pillars and the left front wing ?. I guess there was a leak in the front window/glove box. The wheels resemble the original ones. Maybe I should fit the trailer with 15” GTA knock off’s, Just to complete the picture.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
317 Posts
I was just looking at the key and wondering ... The car does look pretty solid, I agree, and looks like it is well worth the work. That colour is it original? If so then it would be worth re-doing. Sills - mine were all replaced by the previous owner, but I have since flooded them with the Wurth cavity fluid with a 360deg nozzle that they have. However I think that the way these cars are now kept in warm garages with sunny day use, they won't rust again anyway. :)

·
Registered
GT 1300 junior
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just looking at the key and wondering ... The car does look pretty solid, I agree, and looks like it is well worth the work. That colour is it original? If so then it would be worth re-doing. Sills - mine were all replaced by the previous owner, but I have since flooded them with the Wurth cavity fluid with a 360deg nozzle that they have. However I think that the way these cars are now kept in warm garages with sunny day use, they won't rust again anyway. :)

·
Registered
GT 1300 junior
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good job on filling the cavities with anti corrossion fluid. I guess in Australia that will be sufficient to withhold any future rust. Here in Holland maybe not so. It is quit a humid climate and after removing the sills, I plan on sandblasting the entire car to make it free of rust. Just to be sure! After all, it is an Alfa. The colour is original to the car, it's called Verde Pino (Pine Green). Please show us some pictures of your car.

·
Registered
GT 1300 junior
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is a one very nice GT Junior. Great colour off course. Did you restore the car or did you buy it this way? I would love to drive a GT Junior around the winding roads of the Canary Islands.

·
Administrator
13,651 Posts
Subscribed

Pete

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is a one very nice GT Junior. Great colour off course. Did you restore the car or did you buy it this way? I would love to drive a GT Junior around the winding roads of the Canary Islands.
Hi there,
I bought it like this, I have only adjusted the carb and do regular maintenance.

It is very rewarding to drive on our roads !! You are always invited

·
Registered
GT 1300 junior
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I moved the car to my friends workshop/mancave where the dismantelling proces has started and sanding down the body was next.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,651 Posts
Wow, amazing body condition!

Pete

·
Registered
GT 1300 junior
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, amazing body condition!

Pete
Hi Pete, actually there are a few holes here and there, especially around the drivers side floor pan, A-pillar, sills etc. on the other hand there is not a single sign of patch welling. What you see is what you get.

·
Registered
GT 1300 junior
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have started with taking of the outer sills and the bottom of the fenders. The middle sills are a little worse than I expected if you compare it to the rest of the car. I think I will replace those as well. Any expert suggestions on how to brace the car are more than welcome.
38103734-5417-4186-9D18-51F303B2449B.jpeg
958C0824-570E-4E03-826D-ED2E0D3D5A51.jpeg
4C6C5035-B79B-42D9-BF2E-A4B39F885D56.jpeg
B9A71BED-28B2-4C8C-AD3F-16D123484AFB.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Long boarder,

688C60CB-96CB-45F0-B685-EAA8AE55DD2E.jpeg

Great luck with your project. Enjoy it. Seems like you’ve got yourself a great car!

Reactions: Qmac

·
Registered
GT 1300 junior
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Long boarder,

View attachment 1623111

Great luck with your project. Enjoy it. Seems like you’ve got yourself a great car!
Well thank you Yachtman. I am enjoying it thoroughly. Your car looks fantastic, by the way. By the looks of your car collection you are also a MG person. You might like my friend’s car in the foreground as well.
893E9183-3648-4198-9DCA-61B8408FB636.jpeg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts