Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally got a chance to dyno my car after the engine mods and the Megasquirt. Came out to 191 hp and 190 torque at the wheels or about 232-235 at the crank. Not bad. The dyno tech thought that the intake was very restricted. I wanted the engine to look stock so the intake tube is still there, as is the stock AFM and air box. The AFM has been hollowed out as I no longer use it but like I said I wanted to keep a stock look. When the whole thing was removed and a pipe attached to a cone filter was put in its place, we got another 10hp at the wheels. The tech also said that if I could run 95 octane fuel we could advance the timing a few more degrees and get another 9 hp or so. So all together that's around 270 hp at the crank. Not bad at all.

So where do I get a cold intake type kit? I've seen Greg's intake tube but is there something of a complete kit with the cone filter and whatever is needed to get everything hooked up?

I'll post the dyno charts soon.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Those are very nice numbers. Will be looking forward to the dyno sheets and pictures.

Best regards,

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10.8 compression JE pistons, S cams, did not port the heads as the machine shop thought the port design was excellent. I think he polished them just a tad though. I got the CSC headers and pipes. I continued the pipes all the way to the back of the car with no cats and joined them with a Y-pipe into the Ansa Sport muffler. I thought it would be very loud but it's quieter now than ever before. Megasquirt uses a MAP sensor to measure air so no need for the AFM. It also regulates spark control so no more use for vacuum advance or spark module. I'm running Bosch W5CC plugs but may try going one step colder. The fuel injectors were increased to flow 240cc instead of the stock 185cc.

My tech seems to think the S cams are a bit too mild for this engine. The engine responds tremendously to small changes in advance and this is where the dyno tech was saying that the engine has so much more with the proper grade of fuel.

As good as these numbers are though the car still doesn't feel all that powerful. I think this assessment was shared before by a couple guys here who have done all sorts of things to the Verde only to find out that the car is still limited by it's old overall technology. But I think there is still a bit of tuning left. It feels good but not great for all the work that has gone into it.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Were the pistons custom designed by someone other than Paul Spruell? I bought my set from Paul Spruell and they were only 10.5:1. But 191 rwhp is still very good though, E36 M3s have about 200 rwhp. But you have to remember, not all dynos give the same figures.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a customer who works on Porsche engines and I had him do the design. He measured everything and gave JE the specs according to what he thought the combustion chamber would handle efficiently. He had a design for 11.8 compression as well but I thought that would be too high.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Sounds like you are calling him out! :) ...
No, I am genuinely interested, as I have a Verde that I would like to upgrade a bit. I also have a MS built inside a Spider Bosch ECU box (so that I can use the same harness), but I want to do a bit more reading before I install it into my souped-up '84 Spider...

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Do you have a 3.55 diff? You could also benefit from porting the intake runners and plenum. Just get a harbor freight die grinder and a router speed control. Then git lots of sanding rolls from summitracing. Port it out to 39mm or something like that on both the runner and plenum.

You may also think about cutting an opening on the sheet metal between the radiator and headlight and duct the cold air into the stock airbox (which is really huge btw). Then get a used top section of the airbox and modify it to mate to a 3" pipe. I think if you stick some kind of MAF looking device on the new 3.5" tube, and connect dummy wires you could get away with SMO....

·
Registered
659 Posts
So where do I get a cold intake type kit? I've seen Greg's intake tube but is there something of a complete kit with the cone filter and whatever is needed to get everything hooked up?
Greg's kit DOES come with everything. New silicon elbow to replace the stock one, stainless steel piping to attach all the vacuum lines, brackets and a high quality air filter. He has a design for those no longer using an AFM.

Great numbers though!

ROCK ON
R~R

1 - 9 of 9 Posts