Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to start my milano unsuccessfully and could use some help. Heres the basics. First of all I am not running Bosch but a GoTech system. Have been for several years.
I just changed the timing belt, accessory belts and the hoses. Before I took off the belt, I set the crank on the P mark. I used the template that has been posted here to verify the cams were spot on and the position of the distributor, pointing at the #1 cylinder.
All that was verified after I replaced the timing belt.

Tried to start the car. It seemed like it wanted to but would not start. I experimented by turning the distributor slightly CCW at it was worse. Went CW and then it nearly started but it wouldnt. By now the mark was past pointing at #1. Still no start.

Any ideas of where I go from here.

Much appreciated.

Tony Brucia
Long Island, NY

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
You need to go through the standard no start diagnostic routine.

Confirm you have spark, confirm that the spark is in sync and so on. Start by getting the distributor back to the #1 position.

You have a timing light yes?

Bye for now

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
You did not mention if you have spark control thru gotech. If you do then you need to source your build notes or tune notes for setting distributor. But I'm guessing you did not build it yourself so maybe ask who did.

If you have stock Bosch spark control it sounds like you just need to add more timing advance to get it to start. Maybe once more check for vacuum leaks or unsecured hoses (small advance hose hooked up to dizzy?).

It is also very possible the belt slipped on startup attempts. You didn't mention if you checked cam timing after crank attempts. Worth a quick check. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
If nothing else changed then I'm guessing that the distributor pulley turned while you were trying to put the belt on, it is very easy to do and hard to notice.

Kevin

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. I'm convinced I have a timing problem. I know Im getting gas (can smell it) and spark (it almost catches). Actually I did the Gotech myself but its been a number of years and I'm rusty. Yes I have a timing light. Can someone remind me how to set static timing? I am sure nothing slipped because I have rechecked it.

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually Kredden you gave me a viola moment. Once I had assembled everything the other day, I noticed the distributor rotor was slightjy to the left of #1. I adjusted the mark on the dist to match up to the rotor. When I installed the GoTech I had originally set the rotor to TDC and have been using the GoTech to set advance. I thought by turning the dist base to line up I had compensated for it. Both are slightly to the left of pointing to #1 when at TDC. Did I screw up?

Tony

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
If the pulley didn't actually move when you installed the belt then, you probably changed the advance quite a bit by doing that.

I'll let others chime in but I don't think the actual position of the distributor makes a real difference, what makes a difference is the position of the rotor relative to the notch on the distributor housing when the engine is at TDC ("P").

If you make sure that the engine is at TDC (P on the pulley) on the compression stroke then the two marks on the cams should line up with the marks on the cam caps and the rotor should be pointing fairly close to the notch on the distributor housing.

Kevin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts