Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I discovered a leak between the electronic motor and pump under the accumulator bottle. I removed the whole unit and cleaned and resealed it. So far it looks good. Now I have a stiff and ineffective brake pedal. How do I bleed the pump and accumulator? Also one of the electropump connectors looks poor, I'm going to fix that problem next, maybe it isn't getting power? Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Try bleeding the brakes normally to get the pump flowing...might be a good time to flush the brake system and get some new brake fluid.

When removing the accumulator the system becomes unpressurized, and the pump will run for a considerable time when turning the ignition back on, and since the pump is so loud you should have heard it. If you haven't heard it then its probably not getting any power

Good luck

·
Registered
172 Posts
Also make sure you lines arent plugged while your at it, you can bleed all you want if your lines are clogged youll get nothin.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
loosen the HI-psi line on the master. The one from the pump. run until it flows out the line and switch off and tighten it back up. hose off break fluid to protect the paint afterwards where is sprayed when you had the hose lose.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the great feedback. I've got brakes again, I bled the hi pressure line and mounted a new connector. However, I'm back to square one with the seal leak. It's very slow and I can't get to it until next week. Now I know what to do. Hopefully napa has the seal I'm looking for. Any one know the dimensions? Also my red blinky brake light on the alfa control is on as well as the yellow anti lock light. What are the common causes for these warning lights?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
The red light comes on if low level in tank or pump it not up to PSI
the ABS light will be on if anything with the ABS is not right including low PSI.
and ABS function is disabled.

so if the pump can't get the PSI it needs both lights will be on.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
One or the other by itself is typically not a total failure, but both at the same time could be a total failure of brake system and put you in a dangerous situation!
Jes

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I do not think it is possible to get the red light with out the ABS on. maybe low fluid.
but it seems any kind of fault disables ABS first.

But the red light is the one to watch. If tank is low or empty you could be in quite the pinch . If the pump dies you get hard breaks and if not used to manual breaks you could easily crash by not pushing as hard as needed. or just caught off guard.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I do not think it is possible to get the red light with out the ABS on. maybe low fluid.
I think worn pads will give you the red light by itself - although probably not many using pads with sensors at this point... but surely possible.
Jes

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Aw, just pull that crap off Mike, we have the bits to make it simple and work, laying around here.
Then you don't have to think about it, and can think about modifying the seat mounts to get more headroom.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. I found a significant leak at the back of the pump under the spring bushing. Where the little mounting rod is in front of the washer fluid bottle, under the spring bushing and in the pump there is a black plastic cap that fluid is leaking out of. Have any of you seen or heard of this? Can it be repaired? Where can I get a new pump? Thanks.

Michael

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow. I just read some older threads about the abs pump. I didn't know they were so rare and expensive! Seriously is there a way to seal the leak with epoxy, jb weld, or Belzona? I'm not gonna say 'should've bought a GTV6'. But I am starting to think ABSectomy!

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I don't want to rub it in [well, actually, yes I do !!], you coulda traded for that nice black GTV6 !!

A "How to remove ABS" tutorial would be cool to look at right now, see what it takes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts