Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a little curious, and a little bored last week so I tried venting engine heat through the tea tray. I've seen photos of racers that have removed them, but I wanted to try something different. With some 1/8" plexiglass I had at work I came up with this. The vents were placed forward to hopefully capture the low pressure area from the nose. Judging from the wool, it looks as though it works. I remember reading another person tried something similar with just an open tray and the tufts were flapping around indicating venting. And noting how the sides and the tuft in front of the tray are flowing straight, I'm going to assume that it's flowing through the tray. Or I can put the original back on, put the tufts in the same place and compare. I was moving at 80kmh or so.

I haven't taken any temp readings, and I didn't have any overheating issues to begin with, I just felt like tinkering:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Nice plexi trimming! I put some jag hood louvers in one a few years ago. MUCH flow out the vents whether still or moving. I had a small engine fire from oil drip and it really came right up and out!

It is only riveted in and was going to be welded in, but I ended up selling the car. Still running great from what I hear.....

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
this is a stainless piece i had laser cut last year, then powder coated in a wrinkle finish with a neoprene gasket that was waterjet cut.

i am currently making a small batch of these, but they will be in a mild steel to save on costs, but will still be coated. also wrangling with the waterjet people over costs to produce a small batch for less then a small fortune.

should have something soon.

it works and blends in well compared to the original. but with the added benefit of venting out some very high temps. even with my fully ceramic coated exhaust it still gets plenty toasty under the hood.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
That looks pretty nice Angelo19! Sloppy has a nice one too. I like the Black crinkle. If anyone is looking for those now, Serpent AutoSport already has them in one or two rows of louvers. Crinkle black or bare aluminum. Inexpensive as well.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you want to see the flow you can get out from under the hood drive the car with the hood unlatched. It will come up about 2 inches at 50-70 mph.

Some time back someone was trying to see if a under car tray would help cooling by forcing air through the radiator. I don't remember how that worked out.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Sloppy Joe, Nice. Can you have them made with wider louver stampings? would fill up the space a little more...

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
If you want to see the flow you can get out from under the hood drive the car with the hood unlatched. It will come up about 2 inches at 50-70 mph.

Some time back someone was trying to see if a under car tray would help cooling by forcing air through the radiator. I don't remember how that worked out.
I don't think the hood raising is due to under hood flow as much as the negative pressure that created at the cowl by airflow over the windshield.

For example my 850 spider will do the exact same thing even though there is theoretically no under hood flow (no radiator opening at the front)

Angelo19. I really like the plexi cover and the cut outs.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That could well be, but I was running hot at the time I tried it and the temps went down....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Slopppy Joe,

Good looking product! I have an 84 GTV6 with a 3.0 and headers. The under-hood heat is brutal!! Who coated your exhaust, and did you notice any major heat difference in the cabin?

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I had ceramic coated and DEI wrapped aftermarket headers. The wrapped ones were cooler under the hood, and no cracking. and DEI wrap cheaper than ceramic coating.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks Xray! I'm developing a battle plan to address my inferno interior, Will start a separate thread, but it will include a vented tea tray,as well as DEI and Heat Shield Product items

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Great project!

Has the underbonnet heat had any effect on the plexiglass?

Considering the volume of air entering the radiator and the size of the vents, they could do with all the help they can get. It might help to tweak the vents slightly so that they are angled to the laminar flow (like the metal punched vents also shown here) which could be done using a suitable heat source and fabricated tool. Even small gurney flaps in front of each vent could help greatly to promote extraction flow.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just wondering, for cars that occasionally sit out in the rain, the engine will get wet to some degree I guess. Any experience or way to deal with that? I have paint and body work coming up, this might be a nice feature to add at that time. Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No heat related warping of the plexiglass and it's been heat cycled a few times now. In regards to the venting size/shape, this was just a simple experiment on some plexi I had lying around and with the thought of any heat venting would be better than nothing. If I was serious, I'd cut the hood about where the headers are. They would still be in the low pressure area, and I'd duct the radiator out through the hood, but that would kill the look of the car. It is still a street car.

X-ray, and sloppy-joe, those are both very subtle venting solutions. Very nice.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
rain and vents:
1) try not to go out in it.
2) not much room for drip pan under vents, and if you do have one, it will be so thin that flow will suffer
3) if it does rain into your vent, it won't hurt anything. think about all the water that splashes up into the engine bay when you hit a puddle. But I would not make a habit out of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts