Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions to attach the vent window latch ? I have tried the mirror glue from major auto parts stores - mounted it twice but always within a few days or a week or two the latch comes off. What is the best adhesive for this job ?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I put the vent window latches back on my Duetto so long ago that I can barely remember what I used but I am fairly certain it was JB Weld. It is grey and visible through the glass but has held up for probably 30 years.

Two tips that may be helpful:
1.) Push the vent window closed using the side opposite from the latch (i.e don't pull on the latch handle but push on the leading edge from outside the car).
2.) To unlatch, push the little release button in all the way before trying to turn the latch, while supporting the back of the vent window, holding it closed until the latch has been rotated 90 degrees (I think).

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
I used a brand name rear view mirror adhesive, following the surface preparation, and use instructions to the tee. Different products have different methods. Once the button was in place, I used a large plastic clamp to hold the newly bonded latch to the window for 24 hours. I ended up with a very difficult to remove latch. I found this out when I realized I had installed the part incorrectly and had to remove it to fix it, took some doing.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Using the clamp made for much better adhesion for me. It has been on for years.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I believe it also helps to use the smallest dot of adhesive that will spread under the baseplate. More is not better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts