Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place. I've been a lurker here for a while but just recently came into GTV ownership, and this is my first post looking for help.

My 74 GTV has a vent window issue. The window will not close all the way. It feels as though the mechanism that turns it reaches the end of it's gears or something and stops with about a 1/4" if space between the rear part of the glass and the gasket.

I'm assuming that I need to separate the vent window from the turning mechanism to investigate the problem, but I cannot get the two apart.

Is there a set screw, or something holding the two together, or is a blunt force separation that needs to happen?

-Matt

·
Registered
349 Posts
Matt,

The vent window mechanism is bolted to the door and should separate from the vent window shaft that goes in the mechanism, or gearbox. Maybe some penetrating oil will help divorce the two. Be gentle, for the parts in question can be elusive to locate and expensive when found.

-Doug

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Doug.

I'll try and give it a shot over the weekend. I appreciate the help.

Matt

Matt,

The vent window mechanism is bolted to the door and should separate from the vent window shaft that goes in the mechanism, or gearbox. Maybe some penetrating oil will help divorce the two. Be gentle, for the parts in question can be elusive to locate and expensive when found.

-Doug

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
It sounds like someone has had the door apart and has removed the vent window, but has re-installed it without checking the mechanism first.

The first thing to note is that, having unbolted the mechanism from the door and without the vent window in situ, it is perfectly possible to rotate the adjustment knob until the gears are no longer in mesh (and might even be seen as useful because this will give you the point of ultimate travel). Getting them back together just takes a little sensitivity and care but, once that is done, it's a good idea to insert a wooden dowel (etc) into the square hole and glue a little piece of card on top which is marked to act as a pointer. Wind the mechanism until it can go no further, then mark the position again on the piece of card. In this way you will be able to figure out how to position the vent window in the mechanism's hole so that the 90* of movement required occurs in the middle of the entire sweep of the mechanism - not at the beginning or end.

This is what has happened to your vent window. It has jammed at the limit of the mechanism without allowing the window to close.

Hope this helps.

PS: Do unbolt the mechanism from the door before working on these. The 'legs' of the case are not the strongest design.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice. I'm assuming that I will have to do this at least twice to get it right, but we'll see.

I'll post with any progress.

Matt

It sounds like someone has had the door apart and has removed the vent window, but has re-installed it without checking the mechanism first.

The first thing to note is that, having unbolted the mechanism from the door and without the vent window in situ, it is perfectly possible to rotate the adjustment knob until the gears are no longer in mesh (and might even be seen as useful because this will give you the point of ultimate travel). Getting them back together just takes a little sensitivity and care but, once that is done, it's a good idea to insert a wooden dowel (etc) into the square hole and glue a little piece of card on top which is marked to act as a pointer. Wind the mechanism until it can go no further, then mark the position again on the piece of card. In this way you will be able to figure out how to position the vent window in the mechanism's hole so that the 90* of movement required occurs in the middle of the entire sweep of the mechanism - not at the beginning or end.

This is what has happened to your vent window. It has jammed at the limit of the mechanism without allowing the window to close.

Hope this helps.

PS: Do unbolt the mechanism from the door before working on these. The 'legs' of the case are not the strongest design.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Some photos

I took a mechanism off the shelf and marked a line with white paint to serve as a pointer, then noted a sweep of approximately 150* and marked this accordingly. The two photos taken show the mechanism in the opened/closed (or closed/opened) position. Note the 90* movement, although taking into account a worn mechanism (as many are) 100* is more likely. Still, in both positions you can see that there is plenty of 'travel' left.

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Great post Alex and helpful as always - I have the same symptom with one of my vent windows and had left it as a job to come back to at some point :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after nearly breaking the thing, but successfully separating the frame from the twisting mechanism, I immediately realized i did it wrong. There is no need for force in getting the part out whatsoever.

Explaining this in plain english is not my forte so I have included pictures, but...

There is a 6mm hex at the base of the vent window shaft, which basically looks like the end of an allen wrench. This piece screws up into the square part of the base. Is is the square part of the shaft that slides into the mechanism. It is also split and as you drive the 6mm hex piece into the square portion it forces the sides to bind to the mechanism preventing it from sliding back down. Luckily i didn't break anything. The way to do it is clear as day with the parts on the bench...

Thanks for the help and support...

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts