Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of trying to finish the restoration of my '88 Spider Veloce and one problem I am having is how to get the drivers side vent window frame aligned correctly. There is very little play for any adjustment to kick out the frame more to the outside. When I installed it, it wants to hug the windshield pillar. This is causing the door to hang up when trying to open the door.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Check the flush alignment of the front of the outside door skin with the mating rear of the front fender. If the door hinge is set too far in, the vent window adjustment (on the bottom of the window rail, NOT the top, will be too far in. If so, you will need to loosen up the door hinge where it is attatched to the front door Jam, NOT where the hinge is attached to the door. It won't take much to give you the slack you need if the door is set too far in on the front alignment with the rear of the front fender.

Adjusment of last resort is old body shop trick. Place a 1 X board against the windshield frame and slam the door against the 1 X. The Alfa windshield frame is pretty robust, but I still would not try this on MY Alfa. I have seen old time body men get the top of the door frame moved slightly out so the door closes correctly. Conversly, they use a 2 X on the bottom of the door when the door latches but the top frame is sticking out too far. This actually works, believe it or not. This is a WARP it till it fits method of adjustment.

Disclaimer; I do not actually recommend this and will not be held responsible if you try it and dent your outside A pillar stainless steel trim piece, or crack your windshield.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I discovered that the nimrods that did the body work for me, switched the angled bracket that attaches to the bottom of the vent frame to the bottom of the door. Swapped them out for each other, and the door and vent frames fit nicely. I'd like to thank all of you for your responses, good to know that there are knowledgeable people here to bounce things off when I encounter a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Shadow14, can you better describe to me what you did, because I'm struggling to do the same on my passenger door. It does the exact same thing - the top of the vent window binds against the windshield pillar and the door wants to spring back. I've got the two upper and one lower bolt loose and still don't get much adjustment of the vent window. I thought there is only one bracket at the bottom and none at the top.

What are the chances when the PO had the car painted, he ended up at the same body shop that you did.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike,

It's very possible that the PO had body work done and the vent assembly were removed. I discovered by accident that the brackets located at the bottom of the vent assemblies were switched. Never imagined that they were so dedicated. When I swapped them out, I had no problem in adjusting the assemblies and getting everything to line up correctly again. I would also suggest that you check and make sure that the door assemblies are aligned, as even a small amount of misalignment will affect the vent assemblies as well. It took me a while to get the doors aligned to the point that they open and close smoothly.

Meanwhile, mine is still in the final stages of restoration, only need to get the dash installed, carpets, seats, new windshield and the top, then it's in the garage until the weather here in New Mexico warrants a trip outside for a nice drive through the mountains with the top down and the wind blowing through the few strands of hair I have left after pulling most of it out during the restoration.

·
Administrator
17,811 Posts
I've got the two upper and one lower bolt loose and still don't get much adjustment of the vent window.
There are four bolts - two upper and two lower. One of the lower is accessed from behind the door panel (you might also have to remove a triagular plastic plug) and the other lower bolt in underneath the door.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Another thing scratched off the list.
Loosening the bolt on the underside of the door really made difference.
Thanks to all your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts