Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anybody know where I can get a new windshield for my Spider?

Short story: The car is in Ontario and nobody in the glass shops seems to be able to get the glass for a 1996 Spider (916). My new baby is sitting in the garage waiting for glass so that I can get it certified and back on the road.:(

Long story: Bought the car last Saturday and a rock hit my windshield on the way home! A friend of mine had loaned me a dealer plate to get it home and now it can't be certified with a cracked windshield. Could have been worse though, at least the drive home was about 4,500 km. Picked the car up in Burnaby, BC; the rock hit the windshield in Idaho and the glass is still holding together in the shop in Belleville, Ontario. Just can't drive it until I find a windshield. Arrrgh.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Paul -
You may want to post/copy this in a different forum - there is a forum for the newer Alfas, and also one for ARCC in the club section. You are likely to get more views there.
Unfortunately I do not have any suggestions for your windshield, except you might try ProsourceglassIntl.com.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, good call on the posting. Just returned from the trip and am a little burned. When I looked at the prosource website it only showed up to 95 Alfa's, I've got a note to call them tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Paul, as those Spiders were never sold new here in North America, chances of finding one locally are very slim. Like Alex said Europe would be your best bet.
Ahhh, the beauty of owing a car never sold here!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Anthony. Richard from Prosource has already questioned the model and is, I hope, going to get back to me with good news after I've confirmed it.
Alfa UK has sent me a couple of contacts but if I can get someone here to supply the import issues vanish.
Since the car is over 15 years it is no problem to import to Canada, there are a few around and more coming from Japan. Mine has a sticker attesting to the fact that it is "Radiation Free" on the cracked windshield, pity to lose the sticker.
The beauty of having every car guy who sees it ask "I've never seen one of those what is it?" with a confused expression.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Paul,
You could use a heat gun to carefully remove the sticker from the cracked windshield and re-apply it while sticky to the new windshield.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts