Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 2nd overheat. this time do to a bad fan. I pulled the moter.
I got a trashed S from APE.
got new rings seals and bearings (if I had to do over I would have got new liners/pistons)
I wanted the oilsquirters. I an going to use the S cams I will take a power hit vs the stock cams but the S moves the powerband down into lower RPMS the stock cams seem to be tuned 1000RPM past the revlimit.

I will be puting the VEMS ECU where the jetonic was under the right kickpannel.
I was going to convert to the newer belts. but changed my mind when I saw I could move the trigger wheel to my pully. I hope to keep the balance by using my old crank,rods,flywheel,front pully.
For the spark I will be using VW COPS part 06B-905-115-N for the sparkplugs I will be using bosh +4 but they type that go into a camerry. they are shorter and fit with the COPS perfect.
it also give more room fore thesparkplug tool. the old one I had to hit with the grinder so it would fit.

The VW COPS snap on the plug I think they might stay by themself just like the sparkplug wire did. but I am going to make a bar go over them to to be safe. also the top is a bit lose so adding a 'O' ring will keep the top tight and keep the hole sealed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Now for the trigger. I had to mill off a tiny but I think just the plating to get the ring on. I might not have had the heat needed, I only used a small soldering flame.

Anyways when I went to put it togeter the coolentpump rubbed the timming ring :(

so I milled the timming ring down some you can see the difference to a 164 pully

Attachments

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And I will need 1 and ½ sets wire sets so if you get 3 you can do 2 motors.
part# 1J0-971-658-L this seems the best way to get the plugs for the COPS

Attachments

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I can use the stock alfa VR type or I can use a gear type hall I think the digikey ch417-nd will fit
edit: I was thinking main trigger. and the digikey ch417-nd is a different size then the stock VR

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I misread CAM not crank.. I think I will put a magnet on the cam pully. and mount a pickup an the plate you see in the pic that was for a top mount. or I can use a gear type hall. that might work even better. I might be able to mill down the cam pully some on the back side

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used 2 oil pumps one 164 and one 75.
I took the inside part from the 164 and put it in the 75 pump. but the rod length is a bit shorter. so I had to grind down the gear some to when I put on the lock nut there is a tiny bit of play(the gear can move up a tiny bit)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new dipstick is where I can find it now :) I think anyone with a 75 should get a 164 dipstick.
and I used some flashing to make a heat block have to see how well it will work.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used a inch longer alt. belt this has it runing almost all the way out and gave me more room for where the crank trigger goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
slyalfa said:
I an going to use the S cams I will take a power hit vs the stock cams but the S moves the powerband down into lower RPMS the stock cams seem to be tuned 1000RPM past the revlimit.
.. are saying the stock cam provides more power then the S cams?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes when I ran them in the software the 164ls vs the 75: cams intakes and all the 75 had more power at the redline(mabe past some) even with the lower CR. But the 164s has way more down low. The 75 looks to be tuned about 1000 RPM past the revcut. the 164ls with the longer runers and the S cams seems to be tuned more for streat use where you have power in the usable RPMs you will drive on a streat. I might have had a error some where but the intakes seems to match the cams so I think I have all the numbers right.
one thing to note is the alfa cams are speced at the lobe while others are speced at the valve.
so for the exhaust the lift numbers looks strange for the alfa cams.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That really is quite interesting,
I have a 1992 75QV motronic and have had many 75 3.0 litre L-jet’s
The L-jet models had much more torque the QV (S-cams), which is expected but I expected the QV to run "harder".
I have done a few modifications with the QV. I fitted a 164 L (base model) AFM and there was big improvement in response and acceleration but it was even better with the 164 ECU.
According to the 164 owners manual, the base model produces 192bhp at 5600, the 75QV produces the same power but at higher rpm.
The 164 I am currently driving certainly feels faster in every respect then the 75.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
S cams will give more top end power. On the dyno you will see that stock cams will have peak power at around 5500 rpm.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have seen some nice cams on one of the places "vicks". when I looked at the list that was post a while back.
I would like to see the dyno plotes 75evo. The software runs I did was done with good timing and good injection for both. so it would not account for bad timming or the drag of the 75 AFM. but if I just compair the 2 cams in any motor the S vs the 75 they look kinda the same but the S had the peak moved down.

the peak for the S is around 6200 6300 the peak for the 75 shows it around 7000
but anywhere below say 5000 the S motor will have more power.

I looked up the yellow injectors used in the 164 and they seem to only be good for around 200hp I could not find the info on the 75 injectors but it might be a case where the injectors just runs out.
at any case they are very close to there max.

one other thing that might add some power is a resonator all the new cars have them and they seem to be good for some power too. they need to be tuned to the displasment. so grabing one from a junkyard off some other 3L might be good to play with, the camery one might be a good one there are a lot of camerys around.

I think the 75 cams and intake runers are just tuned out side the rest of the system. it seems that the S cams are much better tuned for a street car I do not know why they did not make that the normal cam on all the 3.0. it might be that the 75 cams and intake was better for the 2.5 as I think it would rev more before the ther rev cut out happened.
around 7000 I think the runer size of the 75 starts to be the limit. that would be a better match for the 2.5L

but I think a bigger injectors would help some. as the stock yellows are very close to 100% and that is not good. I think some tuning could get where the injectors run out and leaning out at full power is not a good thing.
things do change some if I use different software. but they all show the S cams are tuned for low RPMs vs the stock 75. I think a S car would be a lot faster with all the added low end. while the stock only makes power just as the cutout kicks in(or worse if somthing else is limmiting AFM, timming). and with the tall gearing you want the power down low.
also with the powerband moved down you and having less peak at max RPM the tiny injectors we have might not run out.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Slyalfa, 75 evo is right and you are wrong. The S cams give more high rpm power, the stock cams run out around 5500 rpm. There are many other types of cams for these cars. The stock injectors on the L-Jet cars are good to about 200 horsepower.

There are plenty of cams for these cars, although they are all fairly expensive.
Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com

1 - 20 of 87 Posts