Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Was hoping for some info and advice regarding Velocity Stacks.

I live in Rome and while at a classic car show...drilling over all the amazing Alfas....one of the parts dealers was selling very cool looking curved velocity stacks. In a moment of euphoria and possible lack of good judgment, I bought them. They seem to be the same as the one IAP sells:

Alfa Romeo Velocity Stacks for DCOE, DHLA

In fact, once the guy realized I was American, he rather enthusiastically ask if I knew IAP and Centerline, and said that he sells parts to them - including the velocity stacks that I bought (I paid 150 Euro, about $215). Not sure if true, but interesting...

Anyway, so now that I have these - are it worth putting on, and anything I should know before I start? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Are they too loud for normal street use?

I have a Euro spec 88 quad.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

·
Registered
293 Posts
Shocking that IAP could grab such a markup (not)!

You really don't want to run a street car without a serious air cleaner setup. First, all the grit the carbs suck in will wreak havoc with your piston rings and valve guides - might take a while, but it will happen. Second, sucking in hot air from the engine bay isn't going to help anything, while a cool air intake setup will have noticeable benefits.

·
Administrator
17,706 Posts
Shocking that IAP could grab such a markup (not)!
Is that not what happens in a capitalist country? Surely you are free to go to Italy, buy a bunch, stock them on a shelf, advertise them, ship them to buyers & undercut IAP...

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
OK, just to ask:
Is a Euro spec 88 carburetted or L-jet/EFI?

If its EFI, you're kinda SOL with stacks as you don't have individual throttle bodies among some other major tweaks.

If carb'd, they will give a bit more low end torque depending on length without having too radical an effect on top end (read as 'you'd prolly never even notice') Likely wouldn't even have to rejet, but prolly turning a mixutre screw or two might be neccisary.

Of course that's all a bit of grain of salt though as Kilgore does have some excellent points regarding filtration and hot underhood air. Deal with that and get them inside a cold air induction airbox and you'll have something.

·
Registered
293 Posts
No argument there. I'm just into supporting the companies run by real, knowledgeable, helpful Alfa enthusiasts; i.e. Alfa Parts (in Berkley), Centerline, Highwood Motors and Alfaholics (both in the UK), Ereminas, Spruell, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All,

Thanks for the input - kind of wish I did not get them now! I was also a bit concerned about the filtration. A little bit of fun noise is not worth any ring or valve issues.

Darren, my 88 is Carburetted with the Euro air intake. I believe this is the standard set up for the quad here.

About the cost, even a bit more then twice the price in the US, it makes since given that I bought them from the guy who makes them and that the Euro to Dollar exchange rate has been so bad for so long now. Not to mention shipping, costumes, margin for profit, etc. The guy also said he gave me a good deal and usual sells them for 250 Euro (who knows if that is true or not, but maybe).

At this point, perhaps when I head back to the US next i will bring them and try to recoup my money. So if anyone is interested, let me know!

Best,

Robert

·
Registered
5 Posts
Purchase your Velocity Stacks

Hi Robert -

I would like to purchase your velocity stacks as soon as possible. I can pay you for them right away, and I'd like them shipped to Detroit. Call my cell phone (313-610-7700), or e-mail me at: [email protected]

(If anyone else has a set of Velocity Stacks they want to sell, please contact me right away. Thanks )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts