Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the 1982 through 1985 spiders, did all Veloces have power windows and leather seats?
In those years, what would be the difference between one model and the other?

Thanks

·
Administrator
17,697 Posts
what is "veloce"

I think the earlier Series 3 Spider were all 'Veloces'. Then later Alfa added the plainer 'Graduate' and the fancier 'Quadrifoglio'. I'm not sure if all the Veloces had A/C or not. But they probably had leather seats and power windows.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric
Does your 1985 have power windows? Mine does not but it says Veloce. It has air conditioning.
I thought your red one was just like my red one.

·
Registered
78 Alfa Spider
328 Posts
I think all 2L were Veloce. The Quadrifolio was a trim package of the Veloce. The Graduate was a 1750, therefore not a Veloce.....I THINK!!!

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
I think all 2L were Veloce. The Quadrifolio was a trim package of the Veloce. The Graduate was a 1750, therefore not a Veloce.....I THINK!!!
At least in the US, all S3 Spiders have 2.0 engines. Graduates started in 85 and have manual windows, Veloce trim has power windows. Quadrifoglio trim was introduced in 86 and has the external fascia and side skirts. It also has the sport seats.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Early S2 Spiders came as a 1750 (1971) 2L 1971 and on, or Jr 1300 motor in Europe. I believe they started calling them Veloce when the 2L came out. Then when the S3 arrived, they gave it a year or two, then started selling the more basic Graduate with crank windows, vinyl seats, steel wheels and I think a vinyl top. The Quad was just a trim level with power windows, leather/suede seats, alloys and I think a cloth top. When the S4 came out, the base model became the Spider and the upgraded model became the Veloce. The base had hub caps on steel wheels, vinyl seats, vinyl top and I don't know about the window power or crank. The Veloce has the suede/leather seats, cloth top, phone dial wheels and definitely has power windows (and maybe they all came with ac).

Very confusing to say the least. To me, this is what makes an Alfa Romeo so special.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My 85 Graduate had crank windows, and no AC. The mirrors were plain manual Chrome. Interior and top were vinyl. Wheels were steel with chrome rings.
My 87 Graduate (The 85 was trashed by a drunk) had crank windows, AC (worthless, except to defog windows on a rainy day), fancier body colored mirrors., and Vinyl interior and top. Wheels were steel with chrome rings.

All Spiders had 2L motors with the VVT.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I think I read some were that all 1984’s were Veloce.

Ken Smith
I forgot to mention that the 84 was a one year Veloce model only. I believe all of them had power widows too. Some had A/C and some did not. All of them had power mirrors. In 85 they started with the 3 different models. Graduate, Veloce and Quad. 85 was the last year of the two pod gauges.

Personally I had the 85 Graduate with steal wheels, chrome mirrors, vinyl sets and roof. Plus this one had A/C.
My current is a 84 Veloce is with out A/C.
I have only driven these two S3 so I can not compare the S2 or S4. But I would love too someday. I believe the S2 is more of a roaster feel and the S4 is more of a GT feel!

Ken Smith

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
@alfaromeoblack

You're in for a treat when you drive an early S2. I'd call the early S2 a sports car. Light weight, basic features, great motor, connection to the road and huge fun factor. The S4 is close to a GT, with power steering, more weight, softer ride, more creature features and more isolation to the road.

I own a few of these and they're all very special cars. As Alfa moved from the early, pre-smog S2's to the smog equipped S2 with more weight (heavy bumpers) and SPICA, then to the heavier S3 with Bosch FI and finally to S4 with even more weight, newer Bosch FI, bigger wheels and power steering.

When I jump into my 1973 S2, it feels more spartan. The motor feels angry! The exhaust smells like an older European motor. Everything manual and the car has such a hand on feel! You always know where the tires are - a true drivers car! Then I jump into my 1980 S2 and ... it's there, but much of the excitement is gone. Then I jump into my S3 and it just sits there (it's still at the mechanics shop!). Then I jump into my 1992 S4 and it's a completely different car. Much quieter with lots of soft surfaces and noise abatement.

I tell people that I bought my S4 for one reason. When I drive my 71, 73 or 74 (when it's restored), I worry that someone is going to steal the car. So, I wanted to have an Alfa Spider that we could drive for a fun weekend or just a trip to the beach and not have to worry about it being stolen - and if she were stolen, I'd have a much easier time finding a replacement. The S4 is just that car. I like the more modern look and the creature comforts. Power steering is nice when parallel parking. And the seats are definitely more comfortable. Sure, I feel the extra weight and the angry motor is gone. The motor sure doesn't breathe as well, but the VVT does help compensate. I bought her for a specific reason and she does the job perfectly!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, my 1985 has manual windows, A/C, a clock and is supposedly a Veloce. It has the emblems and the nice wheels that came on the veloce. Even says Veloce on the title and registration. Go figure?
Sorry Eric, I guess my memory test failed. I thought yours was an 85 like mine. Did i remember the color correctly at least as being red?
Thanks for all of the replies

Reactions: autobroker

·
Registered
980 Posts
86 Graduate. 14" steel wheels with bright center caps and trim rings, vinyl seats (more broad and flatter than the Veloce seats, IMO more comfy too), vinyl top, AC, power mirrors, crank windows. Purchased in 89 with 20k miles at a salvage yard with a punched nose and a good title. Repaired and put into service as a daily driver. Now has, 15" PhoneDial wheels (from a Quad), no AC (ripped it all out), canvas top, early 2 pc. exhaust manifold and front pipe, stinger rear section. Otherwise stock.

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
You're in for a treat when you drive an early S2. I'd call the early S2 a sports car. Light weight, basic features, great motor, connection to the road and huge fun factor. The S4 is close to a GT, with power steering, more weight, softer ride, more creature features and more isolation to the road.
Exactly.
I have converted my 79 to be close to Euro look and weight but have more power. My sole concession to later models are the seats which came from a mid 80's car and are much more comfortable (but also heavier).

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Here's a write up that states the differences between an 85 Graduate and 85 Veloce. The Quadrifoglio was not introduced until 1986.

"Spider Veloce has these features in addition to or in place of The Graduate: Campagnolo 'Daytona' alloy wheels, Power windows, Quartz digital clock, electrically controlled side mirrors, Full-size spare tire on allow wheel, Italian leather-faced seats."

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts