Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hey 8oclock.. Thank you for sharing this. It was a great read, and I have bookmarked it for future use. Thanks again.

·
Registered
506 Posts
thanks for sharing 8oclock...although having been a long term alfetta devotee and familiar with all variants I would take issue with some points...especially the gearshift which in my opinion was sweetest on the first series cars produced until 1976....the later cars and the iso linkage ones added complexity and were from my experience less smooth.
I would also say that the quality of interior plastic trim of the dash was superior in the early cars but interesting article nonetheless

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I did not parse it 'cause it was pretty spot on though some of if "common wisdom" kind of things, still fun to read. Now we need something on the concept, design and production of the wonderful V6!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Found the article fairly typical of past reviews. Always tend to focus on the negative instead of the positive. Most positive thing they said was it was one of the hottest sedans back in the day!! Thats why we bought them! I can still get 115+mph with a smooth ride on the backroads in Nevada! Using a gps speedo.
Rust, weird vibrations, cheap plastic parts, what 1978 mass production sedan car doesnt have these? Move on from being a picky car critic and have fun driving the most unloved alfas.

·
Registered
506 Posts
91spidernv...agree with you that magazines reviewing the alfetta tended to focus on negative points in period...but a recent uk magazines article on the sedan compared with period competitors said it was basically a sports car setup in a sedan body and they enthused about the handling.
Another point most magazine reviews failed to grasp (except one review of the sedan at the beginning in 1972) was that the redline on the tach for the alfetta was solely for continued and sustained running at maximum speed (115 about). Alfa Romeo stated to one of the magazine testers and I confirmed with alfa factory that the full rev range can be used for acceleration...up to 7200 and not the 5700rpm red line. R&T tested the sedan in milan when it came out and used all the 7200 for 0-60 with a time of 8.6, not bad for a sedan with just over 120hp and that was in standard trim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts