Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An original owner of a 750F verified that his car came with a tube type (8 & 10 mm) wrench for use with Webers.

There are two other special Veloce wrenches that appear in the workshop manual. We these tools just supplied to dealer mechanics. See attached pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the "hexigonal spanner" for?

1) Were # 14 and # 15 for DCO3 cars only?
2) I have been told by original 750F owner that #16 is for DCO3 Webers. Is # 17 for DCOE?
3) Also I would not expect the kit to include both.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
The 750 Veloce toolkit special tools

An original owner of a 750F verified that his car came with a tube type (8 & 10 mm) wrench for use with Webers.

There are two other special Veloce wrenches that appear in the workshop manual. We these tools just supplied to dealer mechanics. See attached pictures
Carl, et alt,

Take a look at this post I wrote a while back on my blog. The Giulietta 750 Veloce tools explained. | Auto Italia Sportiva It explain these specialized tools as well as some of the applications. I have been reproducing them for a while now as I provide them on a complete complete toolkit only.

Lionel

·
Super Moderator
3,511 Posts
Carl, these are 750 Veloce tools, they are for DC03 only

#14 Crowfoot Spanner - does the banjo union on the DC03's on one side and the airbox to carb nuts on the other & I seem to recall that the smaller side did the butterfly nuts as well
#15 Spanner 14mm (misprint) is actually Spanner 19mm for the hollow nuts that hold the air box to the carbs internally and vent the float chamber to atmosphere
#16 Socket wrench removes the top of the DC03 and also acts as a jet spanner
#17 the hexagonal spanner is a 10mm Allen key for the cam cover nuts - 10mm would indicate that it's for the later thin flat Veloce cam nuts which is why it says Spider only - the thin nuts were brought in for clearance under the air filter can on the Spiders as production had clearance issues with the low hood line. These new thin nuts had a 10mm hex fitting, the standard 750 Veloce as well as 750 Normale with the Bakelite surround used a 14mm - these used tool #7

By late '59 the DCO3's were replaced by the DC0E's which no longer required all these special tools, so Alfa would have taken a reasonable guess on how many sets were needed to fulfill production requirements, ordered that number and if the last 50 or 60 750 Spider Veloce's didn't get all the tools....well that was fine, what the owners didn't know wouldn't hurt them

The cam cover nuts also changed during production necessitating the 10mm Allen key - this arrived during early-to-mid '58 as far as I can tell. Makes sense as there were only 18 Spider Veloce's built in '57 but '58 was a prolific year for Spider Veloce's and production was picking up problems with hood to air box clearance which is why some of the air cans got a dent pressed into the underside.... far easier to just change the cam nut, so they did & added a 10mm hex key to the tool kit for the Spider Veloce only. Of course Alfa being Alfa they then simply brought the thin cam nut in as a Veloce standard across the board but the old nuts were simply used up in production which is why the changeover is so sporadic - especially as the Sprint had no clearance issues, so the old style nuts were run out on the Sprints, but one of two flat nut engines got fitted to Sprints early on as well.

Early 750 Veloce cam nut
Later 750 & into the 101 Veloce cam nut (1300 only)
Sprint Veloce 06481 - Early type - Build Date Unknown but 06482 was 3 April '58
Sprint Veloce 06559 - Late type Build Date 1 March '58
Sprint Veloce 06924 - Early type Build Date +- July/August '58

Trust this clarifies these murky waters a bit

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
#17 the hexagonal spanner is a 10mm Allen key ………….. which is what I also see on Lionel's nice site.

If they would have just used "American" English (like most of the world does) ….. I would have understood.

Thanks to both of you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,511 Posts
If they would have just used "American" English (like most of the world does) ….. I would have understood.
Ahh but then I'd be out of a job... it's taken me 25+ years to start making some sense of Giulietta production, Fusi's foibles, the metamorphosis from 750 production through Interim/Transition into 101 into Giulia 101 and I feel like I've just scratched the surface...:wink2:

We're all still learning, me included

Ciao
Greig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts