Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have a 2L installed in a 1960 Sprint with Centerline headers that are just too close to the brake master cylinder. The other day (in 103 degree weather) after some tuning/idling in the driveway, during the test drive the brakes (aftermarket discs) practically locked-up and the brake lights remained on! Pedal play good when cool.
I think the header is too close to the M/C.

Anyone had this problem?
Thanks,
Jim
San Antonio, TX

·
Administrator
4,288 Posts
Hi Jim

I did this to our '57 Spider Normale which is running a Veloce branch - The Veloce & some Normale's had heat shields fixed to a bracket on the pedal box to avoid this problem. the shield is simply aluminium sheeting with an asbestos woven mat glued to the back - modern heat resistant materials make a better substitute for the original asbestos !!

In your case I'd suggest Jet-Hot or similar ceramic coating to the headers to lower the temperature combined with fitting a heat shield.

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Jim.

I had a Veloce heat shield that would not fit the 2 L install on my Spider.:(

Had a small metal shield fixed to the end of the MC.

Have had no problems.

It would not fit with the 2 L in my Sprint, either.:(

On this one, we wrapped the Centerline headers.

Don't know how it works yet--hopefully in the first week of September.:confused:

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if the distance between the #4 header tube and the master cylinder are different for a spider and a sprint. These Centerline headers have been jet-coated and the original heat shield has been replaced with one using hi-tek aluminized fabric sourced from Pegasus Racing.
The header is very close to the m/c! We've talked about wrapping the header but that is the last choice.

Jim

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Both sets of headers have been coated with the ceramic.

The thinking is that the amount of time the headers will be subject to the full heat load would not be all that much.

So the wrap may not do too much damage.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Here is what you do! Make a 6mm aluminium spacer to fit behind the pedal box which then allows clearance between the exhaust manifold and the master cylinder sufficient to get an air space and a heat shield.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts