Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently removed my Veglia fuel sender unit on my 70 GTV only to discover that the mesh sock has partially dissolved. Is this mesh replaceable? Does anyone have one for sale? Thanks for your help. James

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,

Sorry I won't be able to tell you where to find the replacement "mesh sock" but I wanted to mention that I have the same "problem" on my Jaeger fuel sender... and I must admit that I didn't bother to replace the "mesh sock".

Am I being too optimistic? or maybe stupid?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Modern fuels have been blamed for damaging/disolving fibreglass & carbon fibre tanks on motorbikes (it attacks the resins bonding them). I wonder if this is the same/similar problem.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I recently removed my Veglia fuel sender unit on my 70 GTV only to discover that the mesh sock has partially dissolved. Is this mesh replaceable? Does anyone have one for sale? Thanks for your help. James
James,

Have a look here - PROFILL FUEL FILTERS

You will most likely have something similar in Canada, or you could just buy from Tasmania and adapt the pre-filter/strainer for your particular purpose.

Chris

·
Registered
228 Posts
Modern fuels have been blamed for damaging/disolving fibreglass & carbon fibre tanks on motorbikes (it attacks the resins bonding them). I wonder if this is the same/similar problem.
well, this screen seems and actually is from metal, I guess it is from bronze or something like that

·
Registered
431 Posts
My memory said it was some sort of plastic - oh well... memory :rolleyes:

Metal dissolving would suggest water sitting in the tank maybe.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I've attached a photo of the fuel strainer on the end of the sender unit of my 1967 Fiat 500.
It is the original metal mesh and it is still in perfect condition even though the car sat for years prior to me purchasing it with half a tank of stale fuel/water.
It doesn't look as though it would be to hard to replicate.
I guess the Alfa ones might be similar.
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The metal filter was probably original. After 40 years, the thing just fell apart, much like we humans begin to do after years of long use.

I know of several Alfas and a Lotus from the same age range that all have experienced this problem. The metal pieces fall into the tank and can cause fuel starvation; they slosh around and end up clogging the fuel line.

Don't know about other Alfas, but my '67 has a drain plug on the bottom of the fuel tank. When the screen falls apart, it's a good time to flush the tank.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The metal filter was probably original. After 40 years, the thing just fell apart, much like we humans begin to do after years of long use.

I know of several Alfas and a Lotus from the same age range that all have experienced this problem. The metal pieces fall into the tank and can cause fuel starvation; they slosh around and end up clogging the fuel line.

Don't know about other Alfas, but my '67 has a drain plug on the bottom of the fuel tank. When the screen falls apart, it's a good time to flush the tank.
Excellent advice, Gary. I will be draining the tank.
BTW, I believe it's important to replace the screen filter to avoid dirt accumulating in the fuel lines over time and causing fuel delivery problems.
Thanks for all your replies. James

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
& when you do, look inside....................

mine looked like this;

so this lot got fitted;

Jamie, what is that third wire running over the back of the tank. Is that to ground the sender? Have you used a Veglia unit. I read in thread that the Veglia units work backwards. Is this true?
Have fun, James.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I guess third wire is for ground. Many times, gauges on the dashes dont show well because tank ground is not good and a first add is to have an extra wire for ground. However the correct is to clean all the surround tank area and having new screws (stainless better) peripherically.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts