Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The little crap drives me nuts. Replace a v belt. No problem. Easy peasey. 10 minutes.

I bought what my buddy o'rielly tells me should be the right belt for my 89 w/o air. (Gates XL 7325 3/8" x 33 1/8.) But the alternator is as far out as it goes and the belt deflects way too much. Anyone know what the actual size is supposed to be? Not in any of my manuals and can't find on line.

Herb

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Not sure if I will be much help but here goes.

The original Alfa Romeo part number for the belt is 19517.07103.00. Of course nothing comes up if I search for that on the internet.

It should not matter whether your 1989 Spider has A/C or not, as all the 2.0L Spiders from 1985 to 1989 all used the same belt around the water pump/fan, crank pulley and alternator. Those with A/C used a separate belt that went from an additional "mickey mouse" adjustable crank pulley (in front of the alt/fan crank pulley) to the A/C compressor by itself.

I believe the size you say you have (33-1/8" x 3/8") is the correct callout. Specifically, I think the proper belt should have an outer circumference of 33.125" (840mm) and a top width of 0.375" (10mm). Rock Auto lists a few different brands with a "15325" somewhere in the part number.

Whether the 33-1/8" length is the size you actually got from O'Reilly, and if you still have a stock alternator pulley might be worth investigating.

Have you actually measured the new belt that you got? The way the alternator adjusting arm is placed (curve up or curve down) may also come into play, but I think since it is offset it would be difficult to put in upside down. A picture of how your setup (with the new belt) looks would be helpful.

I can tell you this much: Although the slot on the alternator tension arm is about 2 inches long, my alternator is set nearly at the end of that slot (farthest position) and the belt still depresses 1/2" (it's a pretty old belt). I do have about 1/4" more adjusting room (not much) in the slot if I need to tighten the belt though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had an oil leak that I finally traced to a missing bolt in the VVT. I also had a coolant leak on the top lip of the rad. Bot took a toll on the belt. It was shrieking like a banshee on start up even though the tension was good. My volt meter has been reading just under 12 volts too. I attribute both to slippage.

I'm usually a firm believer in Occam's Razor but blew it on this one. I jumped to the conclusion that O'rielly lists the wrong part. The simplest explanation is that the belt does not match the label on the package. I need to measure the belt.

Thanks,

Herb

·
Registered
325 Posts
Might not be the belt....

You say it squeals like a banshee on start-up and shows low voltage.

Does it improve after a moment?

If so it may be an issue with the brushes/bushings of the alternator.

I've the exact same problem on my '89 Grad. I've tightened and dressed the belt so I know it is not slippage. I've not yet been able to pull off and clean the brushes but I've noticed that the squeal sounds a bit more "grinding" than "squealy".

Hope this helps, let us know what you find-M5

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I had the same problem with GATES part number 7325. Change to GATES 7320. It is
1/2" shorter and will let you tighten properly. You have to remove the lower alternator
long bolt as the belt will not slip on easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts