12:00PM LUNCH/TRACK TOURS/CHAPEL
1:00 GROUP 1 FLAG RACE
1 :30 GROUP 2 FLAG RACE
2:00 GROUP 3 FLAG RACE
2:30 GROUP 4 FLAG RACE
3:00 GROUP 5 FLAG RACE
3:30 GROUP 6 FLAG RACE
4:00 GROUP 7 FLAG RACE

I will be camping out there starting Thursday night, and I will be testing all of Friday. I was just wondering who is gonna show up

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Saturday

I showed up on Saturday, snapped some picture's watched some racing, and did some laps on the track during the lunch tour.

There was some good racing that went on. Italcarguy started 18th in the last qualifing race, and in the first lap on the first turn ended up 5th, how? I don't know. At the end of the race he came in 3rd, congrat's! RTB brought out his new race car he purchased, and he was flying - doing 1:37's!!! In his qualifing race he got black flagged for passing when a non passing flag was up. He got black flagged and the guy in front of him which RTB was battling for 2nd did not. The VARA people made a bad call (everyone agreed). Dirk from Italspeed brought out his beutiful GT jr (rb) out. This is the nicest GTV I've ever seen (and my favorite). But everytime he bring's the car out there seems to be a mechcanical failure. The tranny went bad, so they threw in the back up and the rear peice of the tranny where the U-joint is mounted was not installed properly. Picture speaks for it self (below). That did not seem to be a mechcanical failure but a mechcanical error, who built that tranny???? I'm glad he came out ok, it could've been worse.
That's a race car, but I know once the car get's dialed in, it will be the sh*t!

I did the lunch around, which cost's 20 dollars for 40 minutes of lapping at a controlled speed limit of 60mph. But today a blind school came out for a field trip, and if you took a student in you're car it was free. So you know what I did! The kid asked me what kind of car he was in, so I told him a Alfa Romeo, he asked me if it was a race car and if it's loud, I told him it's a street car. I think he got a little bummed.

So we got on the track, and I explained to him what kind of turn's we were going into. I can't even drive the track well, but I know the turn's. He asked me how long I've been racing for, I told him I hav'nt even started yet. Anyways, I think my speedo was not working properly, because we were passing people nonstop, and at one point we were doing 105mph into turn 8.:D I think he had a ton of fun, and do did I.;)

Picture below: RTB about to take the lead on the 240z (6cyn)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Anthony in the Spider - John Beard in RED GTV - Goldish GTV all stock race car with all orginal interior.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
"a granade exploded in my car" - Dirk

pictures speak for themselves

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Group shot.

oh and I spoted a porsche with the guy pissing on Alfa Romeo, no worries though. Not a single alfa was behind this guy. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Wow you guys sure have fun and a LOT of nice Alfas down there!
Thanks for all the photos
Peter

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
This weekend was great! RTB racer drove a flawless race. He started 13th and worked his way though the pack and lapped cars to a 4th out of 24 car field and first in class 34 seconds ahead of the next car in his class. Also he turned an amazing 1:36 lap. This lap time was faster than any C Production 911 there! WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started 3rd out of 21 cars in my race. passed a car on the start and took off on the field with the leader. on the third lap, i got punted off the track and dropped to 13th. Weaved my way back into 5th and closing on the lead pack when my clutch exploded with 3 laps to go. what happened was when I went off the track, rocks and dirt got into my clutch/flywheel area cuz and just made a big mess. Oh well, the car was running awesome all weekend and I still managed to do a 1:40 in the little spider. I guess I will have to get them back at Buttonwillow in May.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
EXPLOSING TRANSMISSION

Ok, the driveshaft coming through the floor is not supposed to happen. When you buy a car from someone that was prepared by another shop, make sure you check EVERY bolt regardless if the people who built the shop is one of the leading pro race shops in the US! The driver of the car is ok and looking forward to getting the car out on the track again.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Looks like fun indeed! Wish I coulda bean there!

I'm glad RTB took that spoiler off the front of his new GTV. Makes it look cleaner.

I was expecting the movie credits to roll when I saw Sniady's group shot. Never realized you guys were so tall and thin! tee hee hee

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
i like the spoiler. believe it or not, on the average, the spoiler knocks a good second off your lap times at willow. what would have rtb done with a spoiler...1:35!?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
1:37 is amazing! If He comes to the AROSC events he would win FTD for ALFA class for sure. My personal best is only a 1:44.5 on street tires though...but that was before the CB cams, new EFI, euro lightweight bumpers, exhaust and Kumho Victoracers ;-).

But still...1:37 ****! I don't I can do that even with all the mods and slicks.... simply amazing.

RtbRacer have you been with AROSC races? I think if you do join, you will beat that red little Sprint for sure.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He better be careful, I have already gotton signed up this weekend for that car in race group!!! See you this weekend at willow. Also on Sunday the #181 turned a 1:36.

Richard

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Willow Lap Times

I Just had to go search the archives I had and look for 1997 times!

I was amazed to read 1:37!!! Back in 1997 when I raced in Willow the best time of the Alfa-Porsche Challenge was Rex Chalmers with a 1:38:448 followed by Kevin Mckee with a 1:38:993.

On the DP race the fastest time was done by Henrry Manney in a GTA with a 1:37:656

Now, is "FLZCAT" GTV-RTB a very good combo? By what I read it seems RTB just started racing, maybe I'm wrong.

What has changed in the rules or what new technological improvements have been made to get this times.

Could it be that times @ Willow are subject to change (drastically) due to weather conditions. It was cold wind and sunny, not extreme conditions.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Yes weather does play an important role. In January, some cars usually running 1:40+ in warmer and windier September events turned 1:38-1:39s. But Even if you add 2-seconds to Rtb-racer's time, it would still be below 1:40, which is nothing short of impressive.

·
Registered
913 Posts
AROSC Lap Records at Willow Springs

All this talk of lap times got me curious. According to the AROSC website the time trial lap records for WSIR are:

Class time Driver Car Date
A 1:39.974 Grubb, Jake GTV 01/12/03
B 1:36.434 Henderson, Robin GTV 02/05/95
C 1:40.164 Mayring, Chris Sprint 01/12/03
D 1:40.670 Brown, Alex GTV 12/04/94
E 1:45:139 Brown, Alex GTV 02/09/92
F 1:45.139 Simon, Avakian Berlina 12/04/94
Z 1:38.138 Stoher, Derk GTV/GT3 01/14/01

Clearly anything in the high 1:30's is fantastic!

Bruce Colby

1 - 20 of 22 Posts