Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 78 spider has been subject to what I think is vapor lock on an occasional basis. Sometimes, when I drive from my house 4500 ft elevation to Bakersfield or LA, the low fuel pressure light comes on, always on the return trip. I understand that Alfa put an in tank auxillary pump on some cars because of this problem. I checked the tank, and I don't have one. If I install one, how will I wire it up? I have seen the pump on the centerline web site.

·
Registered
612 Posts
my bet is to get a relay and main fuel pump relay->main fuel pump+ new relay->in tank pump,
though I`ll wait for other ideas as well...

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Alfa issued a recall for the 1977-1979 Spiders to install in-tank boost pumps for 'drivability' problems. Your low fuel pressure light coming on could be caused by the main fuelpump starving for fuel which would fall into this catagory. The boost pump power is taken from the same wire that powers the main fuelpump.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Check your tank venting system. Sounds like it could be plugged up causing a vacuum in the tank on descent from a high altitude (low pressure) area and a resultant failure to feed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts