Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening all,

I’ve been having a real time trying to do the last touches on my 1981 GTV6 to be able to drive it, and I’m nearly at my wits end!
Can anybody recommend a Classic mechanic or Alfa pro that I could talk to or I could take to their shop? Best option for me personally would be to come give me a hand, but I know my workspace isn’t optimal for a professional (see: Seacan in an empty lot I’m renting).
I’m trying to troubleshoot my speedometer and my high beams, I don’t have much experience with electrical.
Any help or kind words will be appreciated, I need to work through this rut!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
It's hard to find support in the Lower Mainland, and Vancouver Island probably is significantly more difficult . I heard of a mechanic in the Victoria area who works on Alfas but don't remember his name -- and I don't know if he has any experience with GTV6 and/or their electrics.

The GTV6 speedometer has an electric sender (called transducer) that seems to fail quite often. Original parts (new or used) seem to be almost impossible to find -- and made even harder by the fact that there seem to be some variations between early and later models (see this thread, this thread and this thread). So, the very forst thing to to is figuring out which type of transducer is installed in the car (and whether or not it is original and/or the correct type for your car). The transducer failures may be electrical (not generating signals or not generating them reliably) and/or mechanical (gears).

I know someone who spent hundreds of dollars trying to have the speedo problems located and repaired (with repeated failures). In the end, you may need a conversion kit like this one (but first check if it fits your car).

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
There is a link in this post about how I tested my early gtv6 speedo system.

Headlights should be pretty straight forward, just check for continuity and no shorts through all the segments of that system as per the wiring diagram. I would start with the segment through the actual switch and then the ground path from the bulb.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's hard to find support in the Lower Mainland, and Vancouver Island probably is significantly more difficult . I heard of a mechanic in the Victoria area who works on Alfas but don't remember his name -- and I don't know if he has any experience with GTV6 and/or their electrics.

The GTV6 speedometer has an electric sender (called transducer) that seems to fail quite often. Original parts (new or used) seem to be almost impossible to find -- and made even harder by the fact that there seem to be some variations between early and later models (see this thread, this thread and this thread). So, the very forst thing to to is figuring out which type of transducer is installed in the car (and whether or not it is original and/or the correct type for your car). The transducer failures may be electrical (not generating signals or not generating them reliably) and/or mechanical (gears).

I know someone who spent hundreds of dollars trying to have the speedo problems located and repaired (with repeated failures). In the end, you may need a conversion kit like this one (but first check if it fits your car).
This seems like helpful information! I have an unfortunate feeling that it’s electrical, being an early car and this Viglia, from the information I gathered online and the lights turning on on the odo/speedo, chasing wires seems like my best option. I’m even wondering if to get me through inspection I can use a gps as a speedo/odo. These things can’t be easy, can they?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a link in this post about how I tested my early gtv6 speedo system.

Headlights should be pretty straight forward, just check for continuity and no shorts through all the segments of that system as per the wiring diagram. I would start with the segment through the actual switch and then the ground path from the bulb.
I’ll have to give that a shot, great links!
I think I’ll try working from bulb to the switch next, I haven’t done that yet.

One other thing on my list was a missing transmission bolt. I didn’t see anything specific about this, and I’m not sure if I could take out a bolt safely to go to an auto parts store and find another. Any help on that front?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
The missing bolt seems to be 0015116021 shown below in the lower left corner of microfiche page K3 (if you don't have the GTV6 parts catalog, a PDF with a branded version is available here).

There's no info in the microfiches about the dimensions of the bolt (I would presume M10 or M12 -- Alfa typically used fine thread, not normal thread). It doesn't seem to be a bolt that is critical with respect to its tensile strength (as is used for some engine components). So, you may be able to find a suitable bolt at a hardware store or at Alder Auto Parts (a retailer of Fuller metric) or in stainless from Pacific Fasteners.

Worst case, talk to the Larrys at APE and/or I'll talk to a friend who has a '81 GTV6 parts car in North Saanich.

Reactions: rasadada

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Diagram makes it look like it’s just a through bolt with a nut, if so, all you need is diameter and length and get whatever will fit at can tire. Or pull the upper bolt out and get and exact match.

·
Registered
1974 Spider
1 Posts
Good Evening all,

I’ve been having a real time trying to do the last touches on my 1981 GTV6 to be able to drive it, and I’m nearly at my wits end!
Can anybody recommend a Classic mechanic or Alfa pro that I could talk to or I could take to their shop? Best option for me personally would be to come give me a hand, but I know my workspace isn’t optimal for a professional (see: Seacan in an empty lot I’m renting).
I’m trying to troubleshoot my speedometer and my high beams, I don’t have much experience with electrical.
Any help or kind words will be appreciated, I need to work through this rut!
I just moved back to Vancouver Island, used to take my Alfa to Frank's in Victoria...sadly he's retired. I've been asking around Peter at Lyall Street Service is the name that has been shared with me. Did you find anyone else?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m further North than Victoria, but I have taken it to Wade’s Auto in Courtenay. Car runs amazing leaving there and practical mechanics. Only problem is that they’re a very busy shop, which isn’t a bad problem to have for your mechanic.

Update:
Will be ordering a mounting bolt for the transmission and get that measured up, post it here for future reference.
My concern was that it needed a match, and I couldn’t take a bolt out to find out what that’d be. Drawing on available knowledge in the meantime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.