Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I will be rebuilding my 1964 1600 engine next year and was looking for a recommendation on valves for the cylinder head. I am interested to know if there is a valve that is suited to unleaded fuels?. Ideally i want to run it without having to put in the fuel lead replacement additives. Thanks in advance for your input.
Tim

·
Richard Jemison
7,376 Posts
Valves

Replacement valves sold by Centerline are modern alloy. However the issue isn the valves, it the seat material. These seats are only cast iron and are not very hard. You cannot use narrow seats and expect lalve adjustments to last a long time as the seats will wear and lash will close up gradually.

The old seats had very wide seat contact width. Too wide in fact, and reducing that width gives better flow. If you keep seat width to about .075 you will have adequate seat for the material, and improve flow.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input Richard, will work with that number when the head is being prepared. Is there an upgrade to the old valve seat that is harder than the old cast iron seat? What does the modern cylinder head use I wonder?
Tim

·
Richard Jemison
7,376 Posts
Seats

Modern Alfas use a harder steel seat. And your`s can be replaced by a COMPETENT shop that specializes is heads. Not your average machine shop.
Replaced seats have a penchant for comming loose.

Typically I would replace a head rather than replace seats. On really rare and valuable heads it`s worth a try.
I sent a customer`s Montreal heads to Jim Steck to repair cracks and seats as there is no one else I would trust with them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for your input Richard, I will give long consideration to what you have said before any work is done.
Tim

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
It sounds like for your stock head, stock valves and seats will work fine. Use the factory angles and they will work great on a street car.
I've had my '64 Giulia Spider for 37 years and put 40,000 miles on her with the stock parts and settings.
It is rare to put more than a few thousand miles a year on these old Gulias......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts