Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By some unfortunate set of circumstances, I managed to leave the car in gear whilst changing the rubber doughnut joint on the back of the gearbox, and am concerned I may have turned the engine backwards.

I would like to check the valve timing before starting the engine in case the timing chain has slipped a tooth....

Can anyone advise how to check for slipped teeth, or how to check the valve timing using factory markings? I am totally new to these Alfa engines, so feel free to make any replies as 'back to basics' as you like :D

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
The chain can not skip ! Probably the only way it could is if the chain tensioner was loose.

If you wish to check take off the cam cover put engine on TDC cams facing outward. On the front cam bearing there are little hash marks that should line up with marks on cams

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
you can't put valve timing out by just changing the Giubo (rubber donut)..........or are you saying the cam chain was not connected when the engine turned?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks for the input guys!

I was just a little nervous after a bad experience with an old VW, with the aforementioned 'slipped teeth' resulting in a wrecked engine. Although to be fair, the tensioner in that case was in a poor state of repair which backs up your comments.

Chain tension seems ok in this case, but I will check the timing marks for peace of mind and give it a go!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts