Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Nord I believe there is a special tool that allows the valve stem seals in situ?

Does anyone know whether this can also be done for the 75 TS engine?

My TS engine pulls like a train, but occasionally I get white smoke out of the exhaust when accelerating very hard and or backing off, which I presume is most likely to be the valve stem seals?

Thanks

·
Richard Jemison
7,394 Posts
White smoke

Oil Smoke is blue... White smoke is brake fluid. Open the Brake booster reservoir at the vacuum hose inlet, and run a thin strio of cloth down into the reservoir. If it is wet, then you have a leaking MC. Replace the MC and while its off get all the fluid out of the vacuum drum.

·
Registered
576 Posts
What Richard said. It happened to me on both my S2 and S3 Spiders. The S2 after a prolonged engine build, boy was I PO'd until I figured it out!

·
Richard Jemison
7,394 Posts
White smoke

Re-torque the head to 70 lbft.

Drain the coolant below head nut level. Remove the nuts one at a time and lube with grease on threads and washer. Re-torque it to 70 lbft and then move to the next one.

·
Registered
791 Posts
With the Nord I believe there is a special tool that allows the valve stem seals in situ?

Does anyone know whether this can also be done for the 75 TS engine?

My TS engine pulls like a train, but occasionally I get white smoke out of the exhaust when accelerating very hard and or backing off, which I presume is most likely to be the valve stem seals?

Thanks
Oil smoke has a very distinctive smell. Smells different when burnt in combustion or burnt on exhaust manifold, too. See if you can place someone to get a whiff as you drive by.

In my experience, a puff of bluish smoke when you start a car indicates valve stem seal issues.

Scott

·
Registered
489 Posts
You could do leakdown and compression test. Check oil vapours system is clean/clear and working ok. Oil cap tight.

My V6 was a bit of a puffer when I first got it. I added an oil additive composed to rejuvenate seals (Rislone, wasn't cheap) with the idea of targeting valve stem seals (they do dry out/harden), and after a few hundred miles it did it's voodoo magic and puffing no longer an issue.. Mind you it had sat unused for a time..

I soaked an old stem seal I'd cut in half and nail gun seals and it does work it's voodoo magic and it wasn't' just from driving car again..

Only if you want an easy quick fix and don't mind additives..some don't

http://rislone.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/44240-Tech-Sheet.pdf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts