Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the only valve spring compressor that I will use on an Alfa head. It's not expensive to buy, I was quoted$35.00 a few years ago but they shouldn't have gone up a lot, Google it under the company name Facom, model 43LA

Attachments

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I think this type. it works like magic. put a waded up shop rag under the combustion chamber to keep the valve from popping out.

push and the keepers snap into the magnet and just release and done.( might need to tap with a small hammer if the keeper are stuck then push)
It is like magic compared to the old way.

Then use the other part, put the keeper in the spring retainer push the whole thing on the valve and release keepers are back on. also like magic.

The old way was tweeters and frustration with the c clamp and at lest one lunching to the moon when releasing the clamp and having the keeper shoot out.

There are made by many brands and lot of videos of them in use.
It makes the job almost too easy. There are no words to explane how easy the tool makes it.

Also no damage to the head the c clamps tend to slip off the valve and nick the head in the combustion chamber side.

I smoothed the end and put heat-shrink on the end just in case it touches the bore for the tappet when using so no risk of nicking the tappet bore.

vvvvv Video vvvvv
vvvvv Video vvvvv

Attachments

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
that tool looks great, but on alfa double valve springs?.......no way they will compress with a simple "push of the hand"..... like on that single valve spring in the video.

But if you really protected the valve underneath the combustion chamber with a thick cloth, then the tool looks like it would work using a blow from a decent size hammer....interesting:)

·
Richard Jemison
8,383 Posts
Proper valve tool

No strain, no effort. Pneumatic VSC thats about 35 years old. Padding is to protect from marring combustion chamber.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
That is kinda like the old tool I used before but with a O2 socket welded on the top part.
mine has a lever so no air but as I did not use padding so I did nick a few. but the time it took was getting the keepers in and out with the tweezers/magnet. I had no problem compressing the spring. but it seemed like it took for ever fighting with the keepers. both in and out. most of the time I think was getting them back in.

The new tool is super fast. and no lost/shot keepers. I think I can do a whole head in less time then it took for just one stubborn keeper ;) the old way

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I made my own for about 5 cents, or maybe it was 10 cents. And a piece of 1" pvc tubing. If yous twist my arm enough, maybe I can dig it up and post a picture, if interested.....

Oh, its for an S3 alfa.......

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,515 Posts
i have the same tool at home.. made in France.. got it for 15.00 at swapmeet, but i cannot figger out what that sliding ' weight' thingy is for.

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
i have the same tool at home.. made in France.. got it for 15.00 at swapmeet, but i cannot figger out what that sliding ' weight' thingy is for.
they say: "The slide hammer is used to free split collets".....maybe the shock makes them jump out or something?

Magnetic screwdriver might be a better idea!

·
Registered
563 Posts
The one I used to use on earlier nords needed a small, uh, modification to work on the TS engines.....

That tool with the spring to hold the collets together.... now there's an idea....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Pity I don't have any pics of my valve spring compressor - It's a modified large G-clamp - has a brass bung bolted to the bottom clamping face to prevent marring of the valves, and a machined bit that presses onto the screw head to allow access to collets - it's almost identical to the one in the first post...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts