Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the forum for my Triumph motorcycle, there are posts about different motorcycles that use interchangeable valve shims. are there any other engines that use the shims for a 2 liter Alfa? I am going to be rebuilding my 74 engine soon, and would like to have a possibly local source for shims. the local source ( European Car Co.) closed down.

cliff

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Well, 1300(101), 1600 and 1750 Alfa engines but that's probably not what you're asking. Seems like there's a motorcycle that uses the same 9mm? shims but I can't remember which one.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
In the forum for my Triumph motorcycle, there are posts about different motorcycles that use interchangeable valve shims. are there any other engines that use the shims for a 2 liter Alfa? I am going to be rebuilding my 74 engine soon, and would like to have a possibly local source for shims. the local source ( European Car Co.) closed down.

cliff
Hi Cliff, You can buy individual size shims from IAP. That's what I did when I rebuilt my 2.0L engine.

First measure the valve clearance on your new head and see whats size shims you need, then order them individually. The down side is the shims that they have they were not 100% exact size.

For example if you order 00.80 inch its either 00.79 or 00.81.

What I did I filed them down and brought them to the correct size.
Its very easy procedure and you save lots of money.

In most cases you can Always re-use at least few of your existing shims.

Giorgio

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have slready gone through that a few years ago, with a head gasket replacement and valve job. just lost the local shop that I got my shims from. I am hopeing there is a locally available replacement. there is a thread that says that Ducai shims work on the 75 engines, but I am not familiar with the 75's. do they use the same size valve stems as the 2 liter 215's?

·
Premium Member
22,637 Posts
I have a ton of shims. If you need individual ones I'll be happy to sell them. Or trade for your shims if you pay shipping.
I don't know of any other car's shims that'll fit Alfa, though Alfa shims can be used in some other cars, probably bikes too. Alfa shims are probably the most plentiful/cheapest for an old overhead-cam design you're going find.
Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts