Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An old school mechanic told me about this so I tried it on an old head and it really does work. run a mig bead around the seat and it pops right out, amazing.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Works on bearing races, too.

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dang, why didn't I think of that when I replaced my rear wheel bearings:mad:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I guess you know about Tucker Valve Seats down in Texas. I have no idea where else one can purchase valve seats since John Shankle closed up is shop. Wonder if Tucker can make Stellite valves seats.

·
Premium Member
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't but i'll check. most of my machinest buddies say they can cut others down to fit, sounds reasonable. Thanks! I'm not really in need of any seats, i just wanted to see if I could get them out. The combustion chambers of that head were ground to a perfect hemisphere with the risen parts around the valve seats taken away. As I understand it those are there for flame propagation and the PO thought he was improving the head when in actualtiy he ruined it. It was a spare head that came with the 74 spider I restored so I didn't have anything to lose. The head I'm working on now is a virgin that came out of the 74 GVT with only 34k on it. Seats have never been hit with a stone and there are no pins in the oil galleries to the head. Bearings looked brand new and no play in oil pump. I'm in the process of porting the head now. Guess I'll start a new thread on the rebuild. I'm using JimK's specs and using photoshop combined the before and after images so I can have a better idea of where to take the aluminum off beside just using calipers to get to the new measurements.

·
Registered
523 Posts
gigem75,

I've been thinking about attempting Jim K's porting and was having a little trouble visualizing the grinding process. Your image with the superimposed diagrams really helps, I've printed it out and inserted it in the book. Thanks!

Best regards,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts