Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all !!!!! Found no compression in the number 1 cylinder. pulled heads off and found head gasket leaking on number 1 cylinder. I thought it strange that I would have zero compression so I put the all spark plugs in and filled up the combustion chambers with WD40. Head chambers 1 and 4 leaked all fluid out in 1.5 minutes.
I brought the heads to the machine shop where they were dissasembled. I recieved a message from this very reputable machinist/ engine rebuilder, who informed me that I had four bent valves. 2 exhaust 2 intake, chambers 1 and 4. When I dropped the heads off I mentioned that alfa V6's wear the valve guides( via alfaBB) and that I would like all new guides and springs. In his message he stated that all the guides were PERFECT but if I wanted him to replace them he would.
My question is how can the guides be perfect with bent valves?
Is there any tricks about doing the heads? eg. cam seal O-rings that I can tell the machinist about?
How do you think the valves bent in this good running engine, with no marks on the pistons or in the combustion chambers?

I have 5 Milano verde's but this is the first one that I have had done any work on. Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers; Joe

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all, this is not the supercharged car, but a car that I picked up in Canada that was a second owner with 130,000 miles (absolutely a beautiful car with a factory veloce body kit)Greg gordon's father said it was the best Milano he had ever seen. I was driving it hard shifting at 6000rpm (safely) and very quickly felt a cylinder drop out. Limped her home about 1.5 miles. Checked compression 000000 at number one . I will post pictures soon Of the car and heads. Thanks for the great advice and have already ordered the guides and springs.

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.