Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To fit new seals on the inlet valves on my Giulia Sprint GT and I had to knock them on with a wooden dowel. They seem to have gone on reasonalbly well although it was a pretty crude way of doing it and I'm a little concerned that they may not last too long.

Does anyone have better way of fitting the seals?

Thanks

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
I use a piece of metal tubing as shown here. Can't say what it's from as I found it in the shop back in the 1970s. It's been in the toolbox since.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The seals.. were they stock rubber, green ones or the teflon whites?
if the newer teflon/white type, they can be.... or WERE a bit of a pain to go on with a nice click or feeling of confidence.
Just to add to the pile, with my story, I recently went thru my 2L head while engine was out for bellhousing repair. While the engine has run great for over 30K, a few machine shop screw ups were found, including all valve guides had been tapped in perhaps an eighth of an inch too far. All the old seals had managed to hang on, but the new ones demanded tapping the guides back for more shoulder height.. Once that was done with a couple of raps with the guide 'guide', the new teflon seals went on firmly. Similar to Papajams tool, I used a worn deep well 13 millimeter socket and plastic hammer. All seals tapped on with one or two hits.. Double checked by pushing the valve back and forth to make sure nothing was catching. I'm sure there's a much more professional check, but they seem to be working fine, no oil burning and engine running great.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My seals are black rubber with the fine spring round the top like the green ones. They don't have the lip down the bottom like the ones Papajam shows but it still might be possible to catch the edges with some pipe which might make them go on a bit better.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Well.. the black rubber ones 'should' be easier to pop into place.. The tool will help and double check by moving those valves up and down a bit after installing the seal.. with some oil on the shaft of the valve. good luck with that.. D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts