Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... The heads are at the machine shop for a freshening(91 164S) and I have the exhaust guides from centerline coming for the exhaust valves. Does any one out there see any reason to replace the intake guides? (unless they are worn)
Should I just go ahead and replace the intake also for the helluvit?

OH.... Getting Delta Cam to grind me up a set of rippin' cams seeing as I have no lobes left. They are also re-doing the valve buckets for the exhaust valves. They can resurface and harden them for under a quarter of what a new tappet costs.

I'll update on the cams as soon as I get them back. The ones they did for the 'ol GTV-6 I built are still working great. The second new owner says the car will easily run 140 mph:eek:. Those cams made her sound like a V-8 the way they made the engine lope!

Paul

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Ok... The heads are at the machine shop for a freshening(91 164S) and I have the exhaust guides from centerline coming for the exhaust valves. Does any one out there see any reason to replace the intake guides? (unless they are worn)
Should I just go ahead and replace the intake also for the helluvit?

OH.... Getting Delta Cam to grind me up a set of rippin' cams seeing as I have no lobes left. They are also re-doing the valve buckets for the exhaust valves. They can resurface and harden them for under a quarter of what a new tappet costs.

I'll update on the cams as soon as I get them back. The ones they did for the 'ol GTV-6 I built are still working great. The second new owner says the car will easily run 140 mph:eek:. Those cams made her sound like a V-8 the way they made the engine lope!

Paul
I have never seen any exhaust tappets on a 12v V6, intakes yes, but not exhaust as exhaust has rocker arms and push rods.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thats very interesting. Does Delta cam have profiles for the Alfa V6 already or is this a custom profile? Are they welding the cams up and regrinding or what?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never seen any exhaust tappets on a 12v V6,
The cam followers for the exhaust valve push rod.

tomp, yes the weld and regrind. They have pretty much any profile you would want. Tell them what you want and have and they will make the right cam.
It's about $75.00 per cam to re do them. A heck of a lot cheaper than a new set of S cams.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
The cam followers for the exhaust valve push rod.

tomp, yes the weld and regrind. They have pretty much any profile you would want. Tell them what you want and have and they will make the right cam.
It's about $75.00 per cam to re do them. A heck of a lot cheaper than a new set of S cams.
OK, you are right those are tappets. Just had a brain fade and was tunnel visioned in on intake tappets and shims.

Those exhaust tappet faces that ride on cam lobes do take a heavy hit and are pretty pitted some times aren't they?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are trashed! So are the exhaust lobes. I'm only going to re-surface the exhaust tappets / followers because i can adjust a lot of the resurface out since there are no shims on the exhaust side. The intake buckets/tappets/followers are in pristine shape so i will re-use them. Sooooo....

Back to the issue with the guides. Do i replace the intake guides as well as the exhaust or let 'em eat? (As long as they are in spec)

Paul

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
They are trashed! So are the exhaust lobes. I'm only going to re-surface the exhaust tappets / followers because i can adjust a lot of the resurface out since there are no shims on the exhaust side. The intake buckets/tappets/followers are in pristine shape so i will re-use them. Sooooo....

Back to the issue with the guides. Do i replace the intake guides as well as the exhaust or let 'em eat? (As long as they are in spec)

Paul

Tell me why you are replacing exhaust guides? As for intake guides if they check out and this is not a track car doing a lot of racing I would keep them.

I only replace ones that are bad due to wear or a bent valve that damages them.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The shop should be able to measure them for taper and out of round. Intake guides have an easy life compared to exhaust wich not only run hot but get lots of thrust due to rocker motion. The down side to repacing the guide is the extra seat machining usually required to true it up. This sinks the valve lowering compression and possibly compromising flow.
-Tom P.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
compared to exhaust which not only run hot but get lots of thrust due to rocker motion.
That is why I am replacing the exhaust guides. The engine has almost 180k miles on it and was using a bit of oil. I just figured it was time. And i wanted some input on the intake guides.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Paul, you're already in there, and you don't want to open her up again, do you? 180k is a lot for any engine component. I would recommend replacing just about everything in there.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would replace it all but I'm on a budget and seeing as I pretty much paid almost nothing for the car I don't want to throw a bunch of cash at her. I will end up spending more on the head job than what I have in the car.
I would rather have a nice Verde than a 164! The wife loves the car so my hands are tied:confused:.
It has been a great car but I like driving/maintaining the trans axle cars.
The lower end seems to be in good shape. I'll know for sure when I pull the oil pan to replace the oil pump. I'll pull a couple of bearings and look at them. The cylinders still have perfect cross hatching. I would doubt that the bottom end really needs anything since they are pretty much bullet proof.:D

Paul

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
See that is the difference between us. I went from Fiat Spiders, Bravas, to X1/9s and Lancia Beta Scorpion and Coupes into 164 so FWD and Mid engines about the same. We only had a Alfetta GTV thrown into the mix before 164.

After being in a new 164 and then going backwards into Alfa Spider, GTV6 and Milano 2.5L to me there is no going into a GTV6 or Milano and getting excited about them.

I don't know much about art or a lotta other things but I know your wife has the right idea when it comes to a Alfa Daily Driver (ADD). I share her views.

Where else can you buy a $750 or $900 daily driver and put a smile on your face in air conditioned comfort and have that Alfa Whine.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I would replace all the guides. With 180K miles, they will on the loose side of the spec now, what about a few years from now. I rebuilt a 3.0 S cam and piston motor for a customer and the result was slightly more hp with loose guides, but oil use was also up. For street cars, I always replace the intake and exhaust guides.

As for the differences between a GTV6/Milano, Spider/GTV/Berlina, and the 164, they all do something better than the others. I have owned most of the models mentions and worked on all the rest. They are all special and reflect the Alfa Romeo performance. Of all the Alfa's I have owned, only the 164S does she like. It is more modern in feel and design. Good AC is a plus. My current daily driver is the S, and you have to like the comfort on hot Houston rush hour traffic. Is the 164 perfect, well I have spent more on it in 12 months than I have spent on my other Alfa's over the last 5 years, excluding my race car. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Paul, I understand where you are coming from, but I think it would be wise to replace them, not to mention they aren't very expensive.

PS- Are those European fog lamps you have there?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts