Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suffering from full blown cabin fever here in Canada so have decided to restore the 3 spare valve covers I have for 2L engines. They are all the same except for this one with weird indents and stuff. I suspect it's from a later model car? S3-S4?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,055 Posts
Series 3 (1982 - 1989) with L-jetronic EFI. I can't see the front very well. Early models (1982 - 1984ish) had centrifugal activated VVT. Later models (1985ish - 1989) had a solenoid activated VVT - the solenoid was attached to the front of the cam cover (intake side).

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I suspected as much. My other ones are S2 and don't have all that extra detail.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Its early S3. 1986 and later had Alfa Romeo in block letters and had ridges.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
I think up to 1985.

On a side note:
I swapped my cover last year with one that I spent a good couple hours cleaning in the garage with various cleaning tools and solutions. Next time it needs to be done, can I send it to you for clean up? My wife can tolerate a lot, but car parts in the dishwasher might be going a little to far. That is awesome!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No worries. I'm a professional chef so the kitchen is MY territory. She rules over the rest of the household!

1988 S3 valve cover with fins.

So shiraz1965, are you using the wife's dishwasher or do you have a dedicated auto parts dishwasher in the garage? Good on you!
I think up to 1985.

On a side note:
I swapped my cover last year with one that I spent a good couple hours cleaning in the garage with various cleaning tools and solutions. Next time it needs to be done, can I send it to you for clean up? My wife can tolerate a lot, but car parts in the dishwasher might be going a little to far. That is awesome!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the dishwasher works very well in removing any grease and dust. A light scuffing is all that is required prior to paint. No additives. Just regular dishwasher soap. Mind you, this is a high end dishwasher with a hot water booster.
I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse?? In any case, does the dishwasher actually work to remove the engine oil and grime? Do you need an additive?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts