Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I want to do is replace a leaking valve cover gasket. Thought it would be a simple job. However, after reading manual regarding the VVT device, I'm skeptical about the simplicity part.

Since I won't be turning engine (and thus cams), I was hoping the device would merely slip off and reassembly would be simply slipping it back on. However, the book has a more complex procedure. Since it was in section on adjusting lifters, and the cams would be rotated, this might be the reason for the more involved process.

Any input before I start job would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Warren

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
It is a simple job as you thought.

If you are just changing the valve cover gasket, you don't have to take the VVT off, you can just disconnect it and leave it attached to the cover.

What you do have to watch out for is that you dont lose the pin shown here that basically free floats.

Here is a picture when I did it on my '87 leaving the VVT on and you can see the pin just behind the VVT inside the cover.

Don't forget the half moons at the back of the valve cover. They have to be replaced and a bit of RTV to seal as well.

Good luck,

Vin

134_3420.jpg
134_3421.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Oh ya, one word of warning is when tightening up on the 6 cam cover bolts, not too tight our you could pull the studs right out.

Want to know how I know?:(

Good luck,

Vin

79.jpg

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Vin.
Not sure what you mean by the "half moons". Also, is this something I should have ordered from IAP in addition to gasket?

Again, thanks.

Warren

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
as Vin says..........just make sure that when removing the cover to watch that plunger, you best tilt up the back and move the cover off towards the front, as you do not want to drop it in the engine!
I would also buy 4 red paper washers for the bolts, as these harden over time and compress.......the 2 metal washers (you just re-use these ones) go at the back over the half moon rubbers(the seals at the back of the head behind each camshaft)

Of course once you are in there, it is the perfect opportunity to check your valve clearances, and adjust the timing chain..........(one of those "whilst you are there" jobs:))

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Vin, just looked in IAP on-line catalogue and saw the half moons. I'm guessing it's not a good idea to reuse the old ones due to probable heat damage. I'll order new ones and wait for them to arrive before tackling job. I believe in doing things right the frist time with no shortcuts.

Is their purpose to keep oil from getting into timing chain section or something like that?

Warren

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
Thanks Vin.
Not sure what you mean by the "half moons". Also, is this something I should have ordered from IAP in addition to gasket?

Again, thanks.

Warren
Hi Warren,

Yes, you should have ordered them from IAP in addition to the gasket. Why they don't sell them as a set is beyond me.

Maybe, you can get away with re using the ones you have.

Here they are from IAP.

Cam Cover moons.jpg

76.JPG

They are found at the back of the cam cover and if you dont install them you will have a waterfall of a leak!

Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
I believe in doing things right the frist time with no shortcuts.
A little bit of RTV totally around those half moons, including the top.
Vin

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One more question. If I check valve clearances and thus rotate cams, is reassembly the same or do I have to "re-index" the VVT?

·
Registered
7,304 Posts
no, rotating cams does not affect VVT.

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Maybe consider checking/changing the vvt o-ring. It is another leak point from the cam cover. You can do it now with the cam cover off, or later when its back on because the o-ring is installed on the outside of the cam cover. It will require the removal of the vvt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts