Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one recommend a good tool and where to get it for removing my valves and springs from my 2.0 head? Or... direct me to an already existing thread? Thanks!

Cheers
Quentin

·
Richard Jemison
7,190 Posts
Removing Springs

Can any one recommend a good tool and where to get it for removing my valves and springs from my 2.0 head

I`m going to address removing them. Not installing, which takes a large "C" type compressor & adaptor for the recessed spring bore.

To remove them:

With heads striped of cams, place on flat work table with shop rag bundled into each combustion chamber, or do so individually

shield cam follower bores with 3" X 2 " sections of Aluminum flashing or plastic slid down into bores surrounding the springs.

That done, take a 1/2 inch drive 19mm socket on a 6 " extension, and with a HEAVY hammer, strike directly down on the valve retainers, in the direction of valve movement.
A sharp blow will depress the retainer from the keepers which will fall out allowing the release of the valve.
Keep a good grip & pressure on the socket, and the spring will pop free contained by the weight of socket, extension & your pressure with no drama.

Don`t be scared!:eek:

Rj

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys... was offline for a couple of days.
Thanks for the input and the hints. I'll let you know what worked for me.

CHeers
Quentin

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FIY... A big "C" clamp with gasket material from Home depot on one side to sit on the valve, and an appropriately sized socket at the other side to press down on the spring worked very Well for spring removal!!! THat set-up worked better that any of the special tools that I tried. I guess I just made my own spring compression tool for next to nothing!
But... may not work all that great for adjustment or installation unless you modify an old socket so that you can place the retainers.?.?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
to adjust the valves you dont need to remove the valves, just pul the bucket or cam follower witha magnet and the shim is underneath. only cam removal is necessary for changing shims.
cliff

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Even with the official Alfa tools (on my V6) I still needed to give it a good whack with the dead blow mallet to break the "seal" between the keeps and the upper cap. Once that was done it was pretty easy to push down and get the keeps out. You do need to make sure that the angle is correct so you are in line with the valve stem and not off kilter.

Kevin

·
Administrator
16,652 Posts
That is a nice home-made tool, Alan.

I used a large square nut and hack-sawed out a piece to make a U-shaped tool. Combined with a large C-clamp (G-clamp in England) it allows me to compress the valve spring and R/R the keepers.

Sketch of what I'm trying to describe:

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts