Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -- I'm considering buying a 1959 Giulietta spider (750D), and really kind of want a true "Abnormale" that was done as close as possible to Veloce standard.....but have found one that has a 1600 '69 105 engine, and am wondering how I should think about fair value on it.

I'm kind of new to Alfa's, so kind of hard for me to wrap my brain around this.

This is an opinion question, so I understand there's not a "right answer" to it....but how much of a price adjustment might a buyer be comfortable with, for a really beautiful '59 body, but with a non-period engine like this? At what point has it been a little too bastardized so that it's neither an original, nor a correctly done "Abnormale", and it loses it's value if/when you're ever considering selling it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Buy it!

They are great cars buy it drive it love it. Look for the correct motor and build it as you can . You can't find them running for realistic prices.
You will be able to find motor parts to assemble. Keep the five speed.

·
Premium Member
23,953 Posts
Most of the value is in the condition of the body. Lack of original engine affects value to some extent, but in large part it depends on quality of the car, level it's built to, and what you plan to do with it. A good 1600 and five speed isn't necessarily a bad thing at all in a nice car you want to drive. In a show car, it affects the value a lot more not to have the original engine and trans.

I'd say a Normale is roughly a $50-60K car now from a private party, for a good one. No big issues, but not a show car either. Total ballpark price, specific cars car be worth a lot more or less.

Got info on a specific car? It's not the white/red one in Sunnyvale is it? If so I looked at it and can talk about it.

Andrew

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not sure if Sports Car Market Magazine's little Price Guide is a good guidepost on this or not, but if so, it shows a really wide range of values for these things of $30-65k. I'm guessing the $65k (for a Normale, not Veloce!) is concourse / matching #'s / original, etc....but outside of that, as a newbie, it's hard to know how to think of it from there.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Hello -- I'm considering buying a 1959 Giulietta spider (750D), and really kind of want a true "Abnormale" that was done as close as possible to Veloce standard.....but have found one that has a 1600 '69 105 engine, and am wondering how I should think about fair value on it.

I'm kind of new to Alfa's, so kind of hard for me to wrap my brain around this.

This is an opinion question, so I understand there's not a "right answer" to it....but how much of a price adjustment might a buyer be comfortable with, for a really beautiful '59 body, but with a non-period engine like this? At what point has it been a little too bastardized so that it's neither an original, nor a correctly done "Abnormale", and it loses it's value if/when you're ever considering selling it?

Thanks!
The market is hardly defined by your criteria.. it's just the way it is....In fact it's all over the place for somewhat stock cars. You will need to shop around and pay attention to E-Bay, BaT, and Hemmings for starters. You might post a Wanted ad on Cars for Sale here to. Any seller worth his salt will give you the sales pitch and reasons his car is worth what he thinks it is.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I personally would try to deduct the value of an either working, or not working but complete 750, or 101 engine from the price the current owner asks, as a 1600, ´69, 105 engine has not much actual value in that/possibly your future car, except its running.....I don´t think these engines are hard to come by, nor are they expensive compared to the 750 or 101 that are both harder to find and more pricy as well.

That´s of course if the current owner willl agree, mostly they don´t when everything works and looks nice, on the other hand it doesn´t cost you anything trying using this as a haggling argument, ´cause if the body is nice, there´s nothing to complain over.....and over time these cars will of course be more valuable with the correct parts that belong to them....heck, they do already now.....

Dennis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.