Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2600 spider and the body shop I am thinking of using has offered me a Giulietta Sprint rolling shell, all metal work done and in primer ready for paint. No engine or transmission, seats or glass. Unsure if title is in hand or not.

I wondered if the Alfisti might care to comment on the value, or lack of it, in such a car?

Best,

John
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
11,111 Posts
... a Giulietta Sprint rolling shell, all metal work done and in primer ready for paint. No engine or transmission, seats or glass. Unsure if title is in hand or not. I wondered if the Alfisti might care to comment on the value, or lack of it, in such a car?[/email]
The title is the least part of it - as long as the VIN doesn't show up as stolen, DMV has a process to create replacement titles.

My question is more: "what else is missing?" If you need to source ALL the replacement parts, except for the shell and suspension, then this is going to be an expensive project. Does it have ANY interior, gauges, steering box, fuel tank, bumpers, lights, ..... ?

If this is truly just a "shell" you are going to also have to find a complete parts car - probably a rusted Sprint - as a donor. If you really trust the quality of the metalwork, and are willing and able to find a reasonably-priced donor, this shell might be worth on the order of $1 - 2,000 (I know - the bodyguy put in 100 hrs @ $90/hr, and expects to get his money back).

If you want to do a factory-original restoration, this probably isn't the best starting point. But, if you are OK with building an "outlaw" with a 1600/1750/2000 engine, later transmission, no bumpers, non-original seats, etc, then it could work. But I guarantee that at many points along the way you'll wish you had bought a complete car.

Oh, and if it's a veloce shell, that adds to its value, but makes it more of a crime to turn it into an outlaw.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
A couple of questions. What year is it? VIN#? What else comes with it? Trim (interior and exterior)? Wheels? Steering wheel? etc....

All of these make a big difference in my opinion, since the trim can be VERY expensive and a good solid early car is worth a fair bit more that a late car.

Scott

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies.

I am not sure of the year.

I will see if I can get the vin, and maybe some photos.

I had wondered if the later model 2000 spider (not the iron block) engine/transmission would fit - I guess it does.

I think that they are very attractive cars.

Best,

John

·
Registered
325 Posts
The shell might be worth ~$2000 to someone who already has a Sprint with a bad body.

You will be much better served by buying something
complete. And preferably running. Sprints are attractive, enjoyable cars to drive. But they can be difficult to restore. The interiors have been described as "fussy", which I found to mean that there are lots of unique little parts that go together just so. And the parts can vary from car to car. Shells are not the way to start something like this.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Shells are not the way to start something like this.
I totally agree with this statement. Finding/fabricating the interior trim pieces would be a nightmare.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Thanks for your replies.

I had wondered if the later model 2000 spider (not the iron block) engine/transmission would fit - I guess it does.

John
John

The Sprint has more space than a Spider for a 2 L, which makes for a better fit.

Centerline mounts and exhausted headers are needed.

:cool:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies and messages.

I went today to get the VIN and take some photos, but the car had been picked up by it's owner - I guess the threat of selling it forced the owner to find some money!

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts