Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The shop that's been doing the body/paint work on my car has misplaced the wheels from my car and I'm trying to establish replacement value.

Has anyone recently bought or sold a set of cromodora five-stars - mine where early seventies vintage - I'm assuming 14x6. They were nothing fancy but in decent, original condition with a newer set of Vredestein 175 Sprint+'s.

It would be great to have a sense of why my wheels were worth when discussing this issue with them.

·
Super Moderator
10,591 Posts
And Centerline sells them for a bit more: $319.

But, these are reproduction Chromadoras; it sounds like the ones you lost were the real thing. My guess is that you would be hard pressed to find a set of 70's era wheels, with centercaps, in good condition for $1,200.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
If you check the weight chart of the early 70's Chromadora Daytona's offered in the early 70's against the newer versions offered by the suppliers or even from Alfa themselves on the '80's Spiders, you will find that the older ones were SIGNIFICANTLY lighter and therefor worth more, as can be attested by the sales of those wheels here on the BB over the past few months. We're talking 4-5 lb. /wheel! There was more Mag. in the older wheel.
Don't let your body shop get by with this. Hold them accountable for the same wheel you had, not the newer, heavier versions. There is a significant difference in price, somewhere between $150-200/wheel over the newer versions, which themselves are priced just shy of $300 each.
Just my opinion your understand.....

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I did a bunch of research and established a pricing benchmark that was fair. Not a fun business but at least the issue is resolved.

Thanks for the quick replies and insight.

cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
And Centerline sells them for a bit more: $319.

But, these are reproduction Chromadoras; it sounds like the ones you lost were the real thing. My guess is that you would be hard pressed to find a set of 70's era wheels, with centercaps, in good condition for $1,200.
true same for still auto for example

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
What Bill said above. The older ones, pre-85, are 12# versus 16# and much more valuable even though that is generally not represented in sale prices of the older wheels as usually they are well worn and need restoration. A nice set can go for $300-400 per wheel. They misplaced them, eh? They had them stolen by someone who wanted them more or they will turn up on e-Bay. Get a rope. Sad.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
image of my wheels

Found a photo of my wheels from a few years ago. Can anyone give me a clue as to their vintage or any other unique qualities? Might be useful to identify them and add additional substance to any valuation.

See attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
You need to take it off and there is a date stamp on the back of earlier wheels in a grid. Gives he YOM. At least provide the markings on the front face to make a decent guess.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah. That's sort of the issue, isn't it. I do not have the wheels to remove and look at the back of. They're gone. Missing, etc. Looking through all of my photos - not one of the inside of the wheel. Nor a clear picture of the markings on the front of the wheel.

Alas, not much that can be done.

cheers,
Brian

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Yea that's right, they are gone . . . Based on the markings on the lower left in the pic, I can see and the shape of the ridges, they look like early-80's. The later repros had no indicative markings and squarer ridges. IMO there is little price difference between an early-70's CD-35 or a later (up to mid-84) one. They were all about 12# and had slightly different casting marks and markings.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent. Very helpful. That's what I figured.

Thanks!
Brian

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Based on the high cost of modern repro replacements (cited above), you'd be doing good to get those prices as a settlement. Older original CD-35's can and probably do have some curb rash and need refinishing and that makes their price lower as proper refinishing is costly. But they are not the same quality or provenance wheel.

PS: also those AR pewter chromed center caps are pricey. I got a set on the ABB a while back for $100. I assume they went missing also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts