Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the value of a low miles 1750 Spica motor complete with clutch and Spica that came out of a crashed car? I'm about to buy one and ditch my 2L so I can get the original motor back into my 71 GTV.

What do you guys think the value of a used motor is so I don't get ripped off.

thanks

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm in the exact same boat, with the same car. I have a line on a complete engine for myself for $600. I think that's very much on the low end, however. My rough guess would be $800-$1100. Hope that helps.

More educated enthusiasts should be able to provide you with a more solid $ amount.

·
Registered
557 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found out the hard way it wasn't a 1750. Drove 4 hours today after the seller insisted it was a 1750. I asked for photos and he said he was too busy. I asked what stamp was on the head and he said it was a triangle.... I asked if it had a screw on oil filter and he said it had a canister.. Got there and it was none of the above but a rusted and seized up 2L. Lesson learned... INSIST on good photos before you go driving for a deal too good to be true.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Oh no!!! Sorry to hear! Funny, I probably would have done the same thing. I have to drive at least two hours to get the one I'm picking up. I'll make sure and get pics first.

The hunt continues. Good luck finding one!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I forgot somebody in Orange County put one up on Craigslist. I emailed him about it, but he wanted a grand for it. I already had mine lined up for cheaper.

The ad is still up : Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Fiat parts for sale

Maybe you can talk him down....

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
FWIW, We are rebuilding 1750s - the cost for a fully rebuilt long block motor is $3,000 with:
New pistons and liners
New bushings and bearings
New water and oil pump
New gaskets
New valves and springs
Head decked

Fuel delivery, ignition and exhaust are extra. A rebuilt Ingram pump with injectors and a new TA is running $1,500 in parts alone. About the same for Webers. Figure another couple grand for intake, exhaust, dizzy, complete build up and run off. All told you are pushing $7k for a factory stock 1750.

So finding a used 1750 that runs decent under a grand is a bargain in my book.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts