Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

What do you all see 74/73 spiders going for these days consistently? Condition being a factor Im sure, but lets say almost completely rust free in running condition with decent paint and interior??

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Really hard to say. '73's and '74's in good shape are desirable cars. Rust is like an iceberg though, most of it lis below the surface. When you start to see it, it is usually a big problem. If you could post some pictures and perform a compression test we might be able to help you.

Drew

·
Registered
312 Posts
Jeff, I've been looking for a while, so pricing is hard to say. Condition is critical. I've seen 71-74 spiders that needed new floors and an engine rebuild going for $4k. then there was a pristine 74 on ebay this week with 30k original miles that went for $14k.

wide range, so condition, rust, history, maintenance are critical

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Jeff, I've been looking for a while, so pricing is hard to say. Condition is critical. I've seen 71-74 spiders that needed new floors and an engine rebuild going for $4k. then there was a pristine 74 on ebay this week with 30k original miles that went for $14k.

wide range, so condition, rust, history, maintenance are critical
Daniel's observations are well-supported... If there is one year that is the most desirable for modern Spiders (excluding the series 1 cars, which have achieved "collectible" status) it is the last year of the pre-smog era: 1974. The '74 Spider in stock form is the fastest, with the most HP, and it is much lighter than the series that evolved in later years. Owners of '73 Spiders will also argue that their cars are just as desirable, as the two model years are virtually the same.

Exceptional '73/'74 models can easily command a price over $20k. However, the vast majority of cars are anything but exceptional. Most examples have gone through several owners and their interiors have worn, their dashes have cracked, their SPICAs have failed, their paint has faded and their panels are rusting. These cars, while straightforward, are expensive to refurbish, so chances are that most of these issues have only been addressed to a minimum level. Even cars with low mileage suffer from issues caused by age, so condition, condition, and condition are the three most important factors.

A "rust free in running condition with decent paint and interior" example would be a #3 car, which is a solid driver. Far from perfect, but nothing to be embarrassed about, such as torn seats or a cloudy plastic window. Such cars go for over $10k, but not that much more. Cars with torn seats and dashes are significantly cheaper. Cars with rust are hard to sell. Cars that have been restored are in the mid to upper teens. Documented concours examples are above $20k.

Best regards,

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well heres where Im coming from I suppose:
eBay Motors: Alfa Romeo : Spider (item 120215998447 end time Feb-03-08 12:13:41 PST)

There are 2 cars for sale in that one ad really. The red one needing floors interior and a bit of paint work, and the grey one which he told me has been sitting for almost 15 years total but has minimal rust and is complete.

No one beat me to it! Im calling dibs IF I can work out a fair price! Plus I live in CO and the cars are in Cali sooo its hard to inspect them :)

Jeff

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
30k mile 1974 Spider

I don't think this car sold. It had a buy it now around 14.5K but bid was mid 6K range. The seller, who occasionally pops up on this board and seems like an OK guy form the one e mail exchange I've had with him clearly states that he thinks the mileage is 130K, and that it has had a cosmetic resto only. Cars like this need to be seen . Everything looks good in pics.

Just my .02

·
Registered
212 Posts
there is no dibs on ebay....

i live in the san fransisco bay area i could probaly check it out for you as i am also interested in the grey one but i see problems with each.
the red one is salvaged!!!! this will dramaticaly lower its value and the grey looks like it has more than minimol rust for one it doesnt look to have a top and it looks to be either primer gray or faded grey and it looks as though its been left to the elements. also it probaly hasent been registered for years in cal thats preaty expensive. also i know this seller he usually has 2-3 alfas for sale on craigs at a time. either way they both seem like they will need a couple grand to be even in modest condition....

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Well heres where Im coming from I suppose:
eBay Motors: Alfa Romeo : Spider (item 120215998447 end time Feb-03-08 12:13:41 PST)

There are 2 cars for sale in that one ad really. The red one needing floors interior and a bit of paint work, and the grey one which he told me has been sitting for almost 15 years total but has minimal rust and is complete.

No one beat me to it! Im calling dibs IF I can work out a fair price! Plus I live in CO and the cars are in Cali sooo its hard to inspect them :)

Jeff
I saw that auction, and it looks like it needs a lot from the pictures and between the lines of the description. I'd go no more than $1000 on a car needing dash, removed body spears, unknown engine work, rust repair incl fuel pump-filter-tank-injection rust clean up, seats, body and paint, and the unknowns. Its easy to spend a ton of money to get it to the $5000 daily driver level and then you have something with a salvage title that is harder to resell. Then you have to deal with transportation too. Last spring I saw some fair deals on that vintage Alfas in the Denver area.

It is worth a lot more than 3 or 4 years ago, when I bought 3 about like this for $150 each.

·
Registered
212 Posts
take it from me

before i bought my spider i looked at alot of bay area spiders alot had alot of rust not visible in pics like unde the car, spare wheel compartment and inside the dash. under the wheel wells. also unknown engine is preaty risky. also he bought this car on craigs for $600 i remember someone posted this car before him....also repairs are quite expensive when its the fuel pump. i bought my 74 for $3500 and in the past 4 months ive invested over 1500 and i do my own work so no labor charge.....also look at the rust and the light is slightly cracked

Attachments

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im actually a bit more interested in the silver one you can see one photo of - he sent me a ton of pictures of it.

Id be happy to forward them to anyone that would like to take a look at the pictures and let me know what they think...

Silver one has been sitting nearly 15 years - Id rather own one that is mostly rust free and needs mechanicals than one that is the opposite :)

Jeff

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, I do agree that picture makes me nervous, looks like a lot of rust under the shiny paint is possible...

Does NOT look like an original cali car to me!

·
Registered
520 Posts
ya the northern california cars are not 'california' cars. i lived there, and can tell you that it rains alot there. its not like southern cal.

i also know that seller. he is a nice guy, but a bit shady. he has about 15 spiders and doesnt let you mix-and-match. but he is cheap! he also has a smog guy that certifies the car before you pay for it , which is good.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any other opinions on these cars?

Or am I better off continuing my search?

Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts