Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a very unusual and fantastic condition Italian spec 1300 Junior that was purchased by a US serviceman stationed in Naples over 14 years ago with 2x,xxx km on the odometer. He had a local retired Alfa Romeo factory coach builder repaint the exterior, leaving the original paint in the engine bay and trunk... Arrow straight body panels and gaps. No rust and no accidents. Original windshield/glass, interior, and Italian supplied top that shows like new.

5 years ago the 1300cc engine was changed out for a fresh 2.0L RJR motor (high performance cams, header, and 45 DOC Webers), Sachs clutch, Bilstein shocks, and upgraded brakes... I just added a set a 15" Alfaholics wrapped in sticky BF Goodrich rubber. 32,xxx km showing on the odometer currently.

If you all might help me pin down a value as I'm entertaining the idea of selling or trading for a mint GTV6.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
wow, dueto style dash. Five speed straight from the floor. Real pretty and a little bit of a head scratcher. I would imagine knowing what these have sold for in similar condition on ebay, start at $9,000 and go up from there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Duetto dash and other early features are original and correct to the European only Junior. The original 1300 was left with RJR as partial payment towards this...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
start at $9,000 and go up from there.
$9K sounds low to me.

9Werks: How much money do you have in it? I.e., what would it cost a prospective buyer to build a comparable car? You may not want to post that number here on the BB, but it should give you an idea of where to set the asking price.

I know: sellers never get their full investment out of a car when selling it (unless it is a really high-end car, bought many years ago). But, 9Werks' investment would provide him with a starting point for setting the price.

Also be aware that there isn't one, single price for a car, especially a modified car like this. If you advertise it locally in Craigslist and need to get it sold withing a week, there is one price. Have Bonhams auction it at Pebble Beach and there is a different price.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
$9K sounds low to me.

9Werks: How much money do you have in it? I.e., what would it cost a prospective buyer to build a comparable car? You may not want to post that number here on the BB, but it should give you an idea of where to set the asking price.

I know: sellers never get their full investment out of a car when selling it (unless it is a really high-end car, bought many years ago). But, 9Werks' investment would provide him with a starting point for setting the price.

Also be aware that there isn't one, single price for a car, especially a modified car like this. If you advertise it locally in Craigslist and need to get it sold withing a week, there is one price. Have Bonhams auction it at Pebble Beach and there is a different price.
This is excellent advice...

Best regards,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jay, et al. I purchased 14 years after the PO found this jewel in Sicily and then this same PO added the performance upgrades 4 years ago... and can only imagine the amount of coin it would take to duplicate today.

I also own a decent condition Alfetta and am smitten with its rear transaxle balance. Would love to work my way into a mint condition Alfetta GTV or GTV6, hence the post and request for my spider's market value... to see if a sale might generate enough $$$$ or if a trade is feasible.

In addition to a couple informative posts to this thread, I've received many PMs/emails from members trying to negotiate a straight up purchase. I threw out a mid teens number to a couple of individuals, but feel I got caught up in what appears to be a mild hysteria due to the shear number and urgency of the responses.

I hope there can be more discussion as to value or someone contacts me wanting to trade... When the time comes I'll put up another - separate - thread with with an asking price (derived from the decision within this current thread), if I decide to just sell.

Thanks again,
John

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi John,

I'm something of a newbie here, but as I am looking for an early series 2 myself at present (I'm in Toronto, or I would pop over and have a dekko at yours....) I have a reasonably good idea of what people are asking, and what is selling, and what's not...

I would suspect that the fact that the engine is NOT original would tend to devalue the car somewhat- even if the new engine is an improvement on the old - it impacts the originality and this will be important to a good number of buyers - especially with a car in as good shape as yours. If you could have offered the original power unit with this I think you could ask a good deal more...

I've seen examples of early series 2s with asking prices from the very low 20s to the mid 20s - but I would hasten to add that these cars are not moving... which suggests that the price is a little too high.

Your car is in lovely shape, and someone is going to want it. I'd say that if you want to move it quickly, offer it at around 11 or 12k... if you don't mind waiting, offer it at 15k. (These prices are based upon the assumption that the underside is as nice as the parts you've shown in the pics...) I say this as a buyer who is unlikely to be able to make an offer on this car, based upon your location.

But - I am not an expert - so please take my advice with a bag of salt, as it were.

Cheers! Bruce

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yep, 13-15 is what I'd say for quick sale. Oh and your Spider is worth more (Sight unseen) than most GTV6's in my opinion. I'd have to have a 3.0 with power steering and LSD from a Milano in a GTV6 before I consider trading your S2.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi John,

I`m just driving thru & will add my $0.02.

I sold my `73 Spider 2yrs ago for $15K even though I really was`nt selling!! There were a "Ton" of questions, comments etc on the "BB". I don`t know if you could find the thd. but there are over 70 comments!!

Brief desc of mine: Show Quality Paint, Twin Webers, 15" Panasport Rims; Side marker lights gone; Just simply a "Nice, Nice" car. Initially someone was looking for a `73-`74 Spider in Exc. Cond but not necessarily a "Trailer Queen" & I sent a few pics & the rest is History.

Summary; Yeah, I`d be asking in the $12K - $15K for yours.

LOL in your sale or trade.

Russ

PS: I love "Brit Cars" and now driving a real sweet `61 Triumph TR3A!!!!!!!

PPS: Mine had the Orig. Dash layout not a Duetto Dash. I don`t feel that enhances the value.

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Mine had the Orig. Dash layout not a Duetto Dash. I don`t feel that enhances the value.
I believe the dash is correct for a junior. So 9Werks' car does have its original dash. The "missing" console is also correct for a '73 junior.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Alfa

Hi
I like your Alfa!
Please quote me your price?
I have never bid on Ebay.
If you will email [email protected] with your phone #,
I will call you back.
Thanks
Mike
ps. I guess there is no top?
I promise not to drive it in the rain too!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts