Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question -- trying to understand today's Alfa market. What would a 1964 Sprint GT 1600 be worth today? It is a restored car (in mid-2000's) with a color change. Let's say good condition, not Pebble Beach quality. Color change to red from blue. Has original engine and drivetrain. Thoughts about a price range for what one should pay for something like that? Thanks.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Question -- trying to understand today's Alfa market. What would a 1964 Sprint GT 1600 be worth today? It is a restored car (in mid-2000's) with a color change. Let's say good condition, not Pebble Beach quality. Color change to red from blue. Has original engine and drivetrain. Thoughts about a price range for what one should pay for something like that? Thanks.
Really tough to value it based on that description. I see a lot of cars with shiny paint over some shoddy bodywork that claim to be "restored." A good start would be posting a number of pictures of the exterior (both sides, front, back), inside trunk, under hood, dash, front and back seats. detail any current or past rust issues or accidents.

·
Push hard and live
11,535 Posts
Many would deduct value due to color change, and even more if the new color is red.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really tough to value it based on that description. I see a lot of cars with shiny paint over some shoddy bodywork that claim to be "restored." A good start would be posting a number of pictures of the exterior (both sides, front, back), inside trunk, under hood, dash, front and back seats. detail any current or past rust issues or accidents.
Yes, thanks, understood. I just have not followed the marque as much as Ferrari and Lamborghini (both of which I have owned many of over the years) and was trying to understand, making some assumptions about a no needs car but one that is not cosmetically international show quality. You know, a theoretical nice local car show quality/high quality driver,that was restored properly. Hagerty says average price is $27,xxx which is much lower than I expected given the appreciation of everything else. But maybe Alfas are lagging? As I said, I have not followed the marque as closely as others but have always admired them. Absolutely beautiful cars. Many of my friends have them -- thinking it is time for me to experience a good one.

·
Push hard and live
11,535 Posts
The early 105 GT is a desirable item. Perfect cars might bring $35k - more. Perfect is difficult to achieve, of course.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Depends on the sale venue also.

A major auction could get big money with the right buyers in the room.
E-bay could be a big number.
Craigslist not so big...
And if you are buying or selling ;^)

·
Super Moderator
12,252 Posts
You know, a theoretical nice local car show quality/high quality driver,that was restored properly.
Kmeighannj:

I'm not trying to give you are hard time, but honestly we don't know.

We have no photos, we don't know if you are the buyer or the seller (I'm guessing the buyer), we don't know in what part of the world this car is being sold, we don't know how it is being marketed (101/105 guy's point) etc. etc. By your own admission, you are a Ferrari and Lamborghini guy, so how confident are you that this car has been restored properly? With some photos, the AlfaBB contributors might be able to advise you on that point.

For what it's worth, I mis-read your original post, and looked up Hagerty quote for a 101 1600 Sprint. Now I see that you are evaluating a 105 1600 Sprint GT. Oddly enough, Hagerty's numbers for the average selling price of that model are lower, which doesn't match my sense for the market. See: https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vbe=111999 However, Hagerty's high number matches DPeterson3's quote in post #5 above, which I agree seems reasonable.

And yes, Alfas are inexpensive relative to Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
I agree with all the contributors...The Scalino (aka Step-nose) cars are coming into their own and on the rise. Some will be money pits and I would expect those cars to be in the $17000- $22000 range. There are very few that come up for the mid 20's that are solid no excuse cars that have some minor reversible mods or haven't been disguised botched body/chassis fixes but need TLC that won't break the bank..(no guarantees, either). Like most cars they need to be put on a lift for thorough examination and test driven by someone famiiar with the model. Really nice cars ( I won't get into the 1 or 2 grading) can bring anywhere from the low-mid 30's ( lucky buyer, desperate seller) to high 40's and absolute bullet-proof one or two owner original cars are almost non-existent and get sold quietly with folks standing in line who attach no value to money.

I've seen some softening in the market for all cars under $100,000 and Alfas are not immune to this trend (IMO). Just my take on them.

I'm in, slightly underwater on a GT that I imported a year ago that is near show quality ( won a prize at AROC) but not afraid to drive yet rare enough to not leave unattended. I won't get hurt on it in 5 years for sure...but if I do take a slight ding the pride of ownership will make it all worthwhile and I don't see any siphon on my bank account to keep it that way..Buying; bringing up to your standard; and operating are all what it is all about. Hope this makes sense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts