Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currentlt looking at a 95 164Q which appears to be in great shape(I have not seen it in person yet.). 65k on the clock all serivice histroy Blue book $11,760.

My question comes the the cars value with upgrades. The owner as installed a stereo system which he spend $1500, it 60k service was done 5k ago $1200, and a stebro system for colse to $1000.

How Should the value of these things be relfected in the price of the car. I don't think 60K service should not be included because its his car and he wanted to keepit well serviced.

What do you guys think? Should the upgrade be reflected in the final sale price, or is the car's value the car's value

·
Registered
741 Posts
IMHO very little, not 1 for 1. The owner should know that you aren't going to get a 1 for 1 return on any 'upgrades' you make to a car. Think about how much you'd get for either used upgrade on eBay and price accordingly. I'd also factor in who did the stereo install and how comfortable you are with someone monkeying around with Italian electrics (which are complicated and a bit suspect on 164's) who prolly hasn't ever worked on one before.

Ciao,

·
Supporting Vendor
4,423 Posts
I agree. Somobody else's mods are going to be done to their tastes, so they are often not a benefit to the buyer.

That being said, the Stebro exhaust does add useful horsepower on the 24 Valve cars! But it is also very loud (almost V8 sounding), so you need to decide if that's something you want.

The fact that the owner had the 60K service done on time probably says good things about it's upkeep.

Joe

·
Registered
615 Posts
My due lire...

I agree with GianniB and JoeCab. However, Kelly Blue book prices are almost useless for Alfa cars. Because Alfas generally trade between "collectors" and their numbers are so small as to not really have an impact on the used car marketplace, don't be surprised if the seller is asking for a significant premium over "blue book".

Garrett

·
Registered
741 Posts
FWIW SCM's price guide has 164Q's in #2 condition at USD $14.5K to $17K. This is from 8/2002, so I'd guess it might be less now.

Ciao,

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. That is exactly what I was thinking. The stebro is a plus:D but the stereo system esspecially the amp and sub will most likely be going to ebay as well. I like a good stereo system, but the 164 is not the type of car to install a sub, it cheapens it up a bit IMHO.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I was watching you bid on that Q Brian; you should have gone to 17,000 which I think was the reserve. The car was worth it, the guy that bid to 16,100 could have gone a bit more and taken the car. There's not that many of them with low miles left in the US.

Better luck next time though, and let me know if I can help with anything.'

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nuts!! I was just looking at a Champagne LS in CA last night and I can't remember where. I'll find it and forward it to you.

Sorry for the confusion about it.

The green one looks great but 9500?? It has four days left I'll see if I can find some time to see it this coming week, my opinion is that it will not reach the reserve.

Best regards

·
Registered
484 Posts
I also like the green LS but keep in mind that maintenance on the LS is a little more expensive. 4 cam engine vs twin cam. Timing belts I'm told are $1200 with labor!!!!! Get the CarDisk and let the good times roll.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not too worried about t-belts. I'm pretty good witha wrench, and TJ lives a few miles away from me and has said he will give me a hand the first time around! I know he just rebuilt his 24v so I'm feeling very confident in his abilities

·
Registered
373 Posts
Tj knows his stuff. He'd make a great neighbor; though I think that my car would be out of commision all the time so I could borow the Q4:p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts