Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing a lot of stuff on my 72 GTV and having the car re-painted. One of the pieces that is in crappy condition is this fiber board piece that goes behind the parcel shelf. See pic. Any suggestions for what to do about this? How to fix or replace this?

thanks
AlfaGTVParcelShelfTrim2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
That part was made from steel on my '66 Sprint GT. I didn't know that they were made from fiber board on later GT's - I'm sure Alfa made the switch to enhance performance by reducing weight :giggle:.

So finding one of these steel parts from an earlier car might be one approach: steel lasts a lot longer than fiber board, though admittedly, not a lot of stepnoses get parted out. You might ask BB member justcallmefred if he has one.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Heck I think I've thrown this piece out with my 1750 :(. I suggest making one out of fibreglass. Won't rust and more robust than the original fibre board, and fibreglass is easy to work with. Could even wrap the original in a couple of layers of glass fibre ...
Pete

·
Registered
488 Posts
On my car this piece was in horrible condition, as well... I redid my parcel shelf already but I'm wondering the same thing as the OP. Did this piece have any other purpose other than aesthetics?

·
Super Moderator
10,165 Posts
Did this piece have any other purpose other than aesthetics?
Yes, I think so. There are slots at the back of the steel beneath the parcel shelf that line up below this part. My assumption is that it acts as a diffuser to direct warm air against the rear windshield. Now it's debatable how warm the air rising out of your trunk would be, but my sense is that this piece helps create a crude rear screen defroster that operates on convection.

Now, will your car end up stalled by the side of the road if this piece is missing? Will concours judges laugh at you. No, probably not!

·
Registered
407 Posts
update - mine was fabric not metal...

Mine was very faded but in stable condition. I just painted it black with a rattle can and looks new.

if you have access to a sewing machine it would not be hard to recover it with a similar woven cloth.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yes, I think so. There are slots at the back of the steel beneath the parcel shelf that line up below this part. My assumption is that it acts as a diffuser to direct warm air against the rear windshield. Now it's debatable how warm the air rising out of your trunk would be, but my sense is that this piece helps create a crude rear screen defroster that operates on convection.
Looks like some early 105s had an option for a rear defroster fan.

The electric defroster eliminated this option so it appears the trim piece was added for aesthetics to cover up the vent holes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts