Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 1978 spider that was in the process of having dual weber carbs hooked up to it. None of the vacuum lines were hooked up and I was wondering if anyone has a diagram of how to run the vacuum lines?

·
Premium Member
23,011 Posts
How many lines you expect to hook up? I gather this is a former Spica car converted? Carb cars don't have many vacuum hoses unless they have vacuum advance. Some manifolds have a small nipple on the front of the #1 intake port, which on the older cars goes to the breather. On a 78 not sure where it'd go. The Spica setup has 5 or 6 lines for the idle distributor and air box, none of which you'd need on carbs.
Got pics of the conversion?
Andrew

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andrew,
Here are a couple of pictures that I have. I found out 1 problem that I was having is the line for the brake booster is not the correct type and was collapsing, but not sure what other lines need to be connected.
Belinda

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,011 Posts
Ah, yes, it has to be strong enough to stand up to the vacuum.
I forgot, there is one vapor recovery line that runs off the small fitting on the right front cam cover, to a pipe by the washer bottle, which goes to the Spica vapor canister in the trunk. Emission only, doesn't affect operation.
You have a mechanical advance distributor? If so, no vacuum advance line needed.
I see your upper heater connection is missing at the top rear of the intake manifold behind/above the rear carb. Your heater must not be hooked up?
Andrew

·
Registered
169 Posts
If your line to the brake booster has enough vacuum to collapse, be thankful, for that's a positive sign. Among my past horrors have been too many hours trying to figure out where vacuum leaks and/or blockages originated. Among them, peculiar to the Alfa, have been the connections to that trunk vapor canister, which have been rightfully associated with nasty gasoline smells. There have been several threads on that subject, but at least the pathways aren't as byzantine as the cars' wiring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andrew,
I'll have to check the opening that goes to the fuel line but I think the opening has been plugged. I also have the mechanical advance distributor. The heater hose has been connected below the carbs so not sure if the heater works or not. The heater motor does work, I'll have to check to see if I have heat when the weather cools off.

Terence,
I have to check the threads for the fuel recovery tank in the trunk as I do have a gas smell inside the trunk.

Thank you both for your help.

Here are a couple of pictures of the car.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts